19 ⊱ Away

AWAY

ELEANOR'S POV

One of the best things of being Louis's girlfriend is that I get to share time with his family. The Tomlinson – Deakin are wonderful people and I'm glad they consider me part of their group. Each one of them has a special place in my heart today but there's a particular one who has become a role model for me. Yes, Jay.

She was waiting for us in the airport when we came back from Greece. Apparently, she already knew the news of Lou and me living together. Of course he must have told her before we travelled.

The trip to her house was incredibly fun. Jay seemed to be really excited about our homecoming and she never stopped talking.

"You have no idea how much the girls missed you, Lou. And you, El. Fizzy went crazy without your long talks in the garden," said Jay while waiting for the traffic light to turn green.

"We missed them too, mom. But we went away for just two weeks, I've been on the road longer than that..."

"What Lou is trying to say is that we needed you a lot too, Johanna," I said interrupting Lou and smiling at Jay.

The rest of the day was... long. The girls, the babies, our parents, Lou's grandparents... all of our relatives were in his house to welcome us. I must admit it was a bit surprising to see my parents there because they've always been too shy to show up.

My mom and Johanna had prepared a delightful meal and the men were in charge of the dessert so ice-cream it was, of course. Nothing too complicated.

At night, we were all still talking and looking at the pictures Lou and I had taken in the beautiful isle. I was feeling a bit tired but I didn't want to miss that lovely time so I went outside hoping  the fresh air would wake me up.

The moon was shining bright in the middle of the dark sky and I remained sitting in the entrance for a while until someone's voice made me jump.

"Always so quiet, El."

"Jay! I didn't hear you coming out." 

"I'm sorry, I just saw you went out and I remembered I wanted to talk to you," she said getting serious.

She sat down next to me and for the first time in my life, I felt a bit nervous being with her.

"Is anything wrong, Johanna?"

"Actually, there is. Or there was."

My eyes opened in surprise and no words came out of my mouth, only a dry sound that made me look silly. Had I missed anything? Was there anything wrong with me?

"The problem is, El, that when Louis told me about his decision of living with you I was so happy for you two..." her voice broke and her gaze met the floor.

"But?" I asked without looking at her. Looking at the empty street seemed a safer choice.

"But then I realized he would not live with me anymore. I realized that my little boy would start his own life away from me."

Her words hit me, hard. She considered me the cause of Louis moving out and I wanted anything but that. 

"Jay, it was never my intention to hurt you. Of course I want to take the next step in my relationship with Lou but I won't go on with that if you think it may "break" your family. That's the last thing I want for you. I could never take Lou away from you."

"You see? There is something wrong," she said in a whisper, sobbing this time.

"What?" I was about to cry too now.

"It's me... it's me being selfish."

My thoughts lost their direction and my brain was about to explode.

"Jay, I'm not following you, sorry."

"My selfish attitude is what's wrong here. I'm completely sure Louis and you will be extremely happy together but I'm in this position..."

"I understand you, Johanna. You're his mother and I guess is normal you feel this way."

"Yes, but still - listen Eleanor," she paused and turned to look at me, "my son is one of my biggest treasures, he's part of my life and I wouldn't let anyone hurt him. Until now, I was sure he wouldn't be better in any other place that wasn't my side but you arrived and changed that."

"Jay, I'm not trying to replace you..."

"Please, let me finish dear," she looked at me with happy eyes this time, "Lou is not my boy anymore, he's a man and he needs you more than anything else. He chose you to share the rest of his life because he's convinced you're his soul mate and that's something we all see... you were born to be together. So, Eleanor, please promise me you will take care of him."

I wanted to say yes right away but I had a lump in my throat and I was defintiely getting emotional so I took a deep breath before answering.

"Jay, I love him more than my own life and you can be sure that I'll do anything to make him happy every day. I know it's a big step for all of us, but trust me, we're ready and I'd be really happy if you could enjoy it as much as we'll do."

She was silent for a moment, playing with her bracelet. Her eyes fixed in the wet grass again and her tiny tears reflected the moon.  

"Can you forgive me for this poor spectacle? Of course I trust you, El. You're the woman my son chose and let me tell you something... you've been his best life choice." a giant grin appeared on her face and in mine as well.

Obviously after that we hugged and cried together and for the first time I understood that it actually was a big change in our lives. Louis would be less time with his family and I would be less time with mine and yes, it would be hard. But it was also a proof that people like Louis and I belong together and nothing would would pull us apart again.

*************************************

Cute chapter, right? 

Please, I beg you for some feedback, vote and comment!

Love you guys ♥