EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

"Are you nervous, love?"

"I'm shacking, Lou," I told my husband on our way to the doctor.

"Well, I'm nervous too. I know I should be the confident one now but - I am freaking out" he smiled awkwardly.

We held our hands strongly and I could tell we were equally nervous but also anxious. The last week we had only been focused on our child and today we were finally doing the first ultrasound to check if the baby was okay and growing healthily. My belly already showed an advanced pregnancy and I was showing it around to every single person as the proudest mother ever. And as regards Louis... well, I cannot even describe how he was behaving. He was not only proud but extremeli cautios and responsible about me and our child. I was already sure he'll be the most devoted father.

While we were on at hospital our friends and relatives were waiting for us at home, ready to find out if we were having a baby boy or a baby girl. To be honest, I didn't care about the gender as long as it was a healthy baby. And Louis thought exactly the same as me. But I couldn't wait to go back home and spend the night with all the people I loved to tell them about our child. It was going to be fantastic.

"Okay, here we are," Lou told me leaving my hand so he could park the car in front of the clinic.

Fortunately, no photographers were around. In the last years we had been chased every time less and less, so those traumatic times when I'd had to hide were almost entirely in the past.

Lou quickly helped me to get out of the car. He had been a little paranoid taking care of me. He once told me that, now I was pregnant, he saw me like a crystal figure. So fragile, yet so beautiful. I didn't like the idea of me being fragile or vulnerable but I still understood why Louis thought that way. We were now not only responsible for ourselves but also for our child, and that was a risk, especially for me who was carrying him or her around.

We entered the place and went straight to our appointment since the doctor was already waiting for us.

"Well, are you ready for this? It's a huge step," he told us pointing at what I thought was the machine for the ultrasound.

"We're ready. We've always been," said Louis, smiling at me.

"Let's do it," I said eagerly, standing up.

We moved to the hospital bed on a corner of the room and I accommodated there as I was told. Louis helped me to lift my shirt and held my hands in his, both of us shacking like crazy. The doctor turned the equipment on and put that weird liquid all over my belly. He started to explain the process and how the machine worked but all I could think about was that we were going to meet our child for the first time, even if it was through a screen.

When the doctor was finally about to start, Louis got even closer, his head touching mine and kissed me softly, encouraging me. 

"Good luck," the doctor wished us and finally started with the ultrasound.

In a matter of seconds, a dark image appeared on the screen. It was blurry and I had no idea where to look at. And of course Louis was already desperate and breathing heavily next to me.

"Let's see... aha! Here," the doctor smiled at us and pointed at a little figure in the centre of the screen. Immediately I fixed my gaze on that tiny figure.

"Is that...?" Louis asked with a broken voice. I turned to him worried and my heart melted when I saw he was already crying.

"Eleanor, Louis, let me introduce you to your baby."

Of course the two of us were crying as never before now. Our joy and love was so big that our hearts were about to explode beating so fast. My only reaction was, besides crying, to kiss my husband without stop smiling. We were living what was the most important moment of our lives so far.

"Hello, baby..." I whispered to the screen.

"This is your mum, and I'm your dad, baby," Lou spoke with a childish voice, touching the screen softly.

"Would you like to know the gender?"

My mind automatically stopped working the moment I heard that question. I looked at Lou and after a moment, he nodded.

"Yes, please," I answered trying to remove the tears.

"Fine, then. Lou, El you're having a cute and completely healthy baby... BOY!"

"YEEES!" Lou and I shouted in synchrony, smiling and crying like the proudest parents in the world. 

Louis didn't waste time and hugged me so strongly that it made me cry even more. And in that very moment like a million pictures crossed my mind. All the possible scenarios of us three, being the happiest family in the world with our baby boy...

"Oh, wait." the doctor interrupted our happy moment and my heart literally skipped a bit, panicking. "Excuse me, apparently I made a mistake," the doctor said with a frown.

-

"Babe, please let me tell them," Lou begged me as he opened the door of our house.

"Louis! Eleanor!" Jay screamed when she saw us.

"Hey everybody, come! They are here!" My mother shout.

In two minutes, our living room was filled with people, like thirty friends and relatives expecting the news. Louis and I sat together in a sofa in the middle of the room and he hugged me from the side and cleared his throat to speak.

"Well, I know you're wondering about how our baby is and I'm proud to inform you that HE is perfectly fine," he said, emphasizing the word he and showing them the picture of the ultrasound.

Everybody cheered and came closer, taking turns to see the picture while Louis and I were in our own world, sharing kisses and hugging each other as we waited... we knew what was coming.

The picture got to be in everybody's hand and it  finally reached our mothers. They were sat together, crying and smiling at the picture until...

"Eleanor," my mother called me, frowning a little, "what's that image behind the baby?" She asked us and everyone immediately turned to us in complete silence.

"Mmm, okay, everyone..." I cleared my voice now. "Louis and I are having... TWINS!! A boy and a girl!!"

In my mind the time suddenly stopped and I had the chance to look at everybody's reaction and I smiled. Our lives were in the best and happiest moment and there was a perfect balance of emotions, what gave me the confidence to be sure that whatever could happen to us then, was going to be even better.

"Wait, how did this happen?" Jay asked Lou and me once she stopped crying.

And then, the answer to that question was probably the best explanation that somebody could give. And it was my husband, Louis Tomlinson, who got the honour to explain.

"Well, as you know, our relationship has many times been the target of a lot of hate since the beginning but we always managed to deal with it, leaving it behind and fighting for our love. So," Louis paused for a moment to kiss me, "in that picture, as in our lives... behind every obstacle or happiest surprise life puts in front of us, there's always more love to be found."

*********************************

I'm crying of happiness, so just thank you for all your support  

Agustina