Eight. After Serenading

My body is sticky when I shoot up on Storm's bed, my mouth is open with a scream caught in my throat and I am panting into the humid air, my vison is blurred and impedes the ability to survey my surroundings, images of the nightmare slowly recede to the back of my mind where they live.

"Nel? Are you okay?" As I blink Storm's worried face comes into focus and I immediately cover my face with my hands, embarrassment roasts my cheeks. Why did he have to see that?

"I can't decide if you are when your hands are covering your face, but I am leaning towards no"

I peek my eyes out through a crack in my fingers, I muster up as much bravery as I can but the frown on his lips tells me he can still sense my fear. It's an accurate assessment, fear pumps heavy through my veins.

"I was looking for you, I only just git up here as you woke up and I came kind of glad I did, I could have taken you home if you weren't feeling good"

"I couldn't find you and I didn't want to ruin your night"

"You aren't ruining anything Nel"

"If you say so"

"I do in fact say so, and I can always leave you to sleep but I have to admit I am not very fond of the idea. Anyway, I was looking for you so I could ask if you wanted to come watch drunk karaoke, as a music major I figured you would enjoy it"

"I would very much enjoy that"

"Of course, I have a beautiful voice" He grins, and I can't hide how instantly he makes me feel better. "Now get out of bed or I will march you down the stairs with you over my shoulder!"

"Do you have a spare shirt I could borrow?? I feel gross in this one"

"Anything for you" He winks, which surprisingly doesn't make my panic spike, I didn't know I gave him such a task, but it takes him a few moments to find a shirt he deems appropriate to share.

The one he hands me has 'Boo Bitch" written across the front, which isn't really my style but makes my chest swell with amusement anyway. I couldn't swipe this smile off my face even if I wanted too.

"Is that all you need?" He asks, and I nod in response. "Will you be okay, whole I wait outside?" I nod again, fighting against a wider smile because my cheeks already ache.

"Did you want to talk about the nightmare? I guess about to scream when waking up, ranks high on the bad scale"

"I'll be okay, I have chronic nightmares and fell asleep without my medication"

"You should've told me" He frowns, "I'll be outside, just come on out when you're ready"

Once again Storm leaves me in awe because he continues to prove that he may be the kindest and most patient person I have ever met, and I feel guilty that I caused the frown he left with. There is no way I can tell him what the nightmares are about, when that door gets opened then all the lies and deceit will follow.

And how will he react then?

If he found out about my old name, then that would lead to a direct trail of evidence regarding the video, the trial and every nasty thing people said online about me. I do now want to restart my life for a third time because I am quite liking this one.

"What are you going to sing?"

"Maybe I will dedicate a song to you, definitely Disney" He replies, as I open his bedroom door. "Or maybe more of a romantic ballad, perhaps you would appreciate that more"