Eighteen. After The Words

Never have I ever woken up with a smile on my face, in all honestly, I thought it was just some cheesy romantic thing that was exaggerated in romance books and movies. It used to make me feel even more depressed than I was before and vastly inadequate for someone to love but I may have felt that way regardless.

Storm's arms are wrapped around my torso, tightly as they normally are, a reminder that I am safe in my cocoon of him and I know it is a factor in waking up without a haze of a nightmare. I thought for sure that I would have one after everything with Travis yesterday, but I am proving to myself that I am getting better despite having bad days.

The smile on my face widens further as I recall last night, the way Storm spoke about saving me, worrying and wanting to protect me from everything out of our control. I know he is getting slightly annoyed about being kept in the dark, but I am still working towards having that conversation with him, it will definitely be an after they leave talk.

After they leave and finals are done before Christmas, then I will tell him, that's enough time to get ready and talk to Kath.

Besides, I know that I spoke to him and it wasn't a fever dream and I don't want to push myself too far when my voice is so hard to hear. I can't explain how nice it was to talk to him and see his face light up, there is commotion coming from downstairs and I turn in Storm's arms to poke his cheek. It's a half-hearted attempt when he looks so cute asleep... is that creepy?

The groan that leaves his lips as he shrugs my finger away and snuggles into my chest makes me giggle, "Get up!" I whine, as I try and wriggle out of his embrace, waiting for it to hit him. "They're going to burn down the house if we don't help"

His arms loosen suddenly, and I am rolling out of the bed and pretending I don't see the shock on his face. I think he was okay with not acknowledging what I said last night because he thought it was a slip up and wouldn't happen again. Especially not after I had such a tough day.

I have been debating talking to him, or at least trying to, for months but hearing him talk so passionately about caring and protecting me solidified a decision I didn't know I made.

"I'll see you downstairs" I wink, I can't quite describe the feeling that fills my bones, I feel... new. Not even the halt in my steps as I see three unwelcome visitors in the kitchen sends me running, I can do this, it will be like exposure therapy.

I can do it.

Oh, who am I kidding, I take the diversion Sutton hands me. "I know we had pancakes two days ago but you have me craving them again, I got the batter done but I'm not sure if I should try the stove alone yet" A large bowl of batter rests in her hands, I give her a proud smile before turning away from the crowd.

"So, how are you finding the campus?" Julian asks, hearing them be so friendly with these people is like a knife to my heart and yet I can't fault them for it. This is the consequences of having secrets, Amalie has to sit with them all because of me, so, I can deal with hearing their conversations.

"Big" Travis chuckles. "It's a gossipy little campus and the parties have begun to get repetitive"

Repetitive. I suppose they have grown tired of their usual antics, before I can let my anger get the best of me Storm is wrapping his arms around my waist and leaning his chin on my shoulders.

I can hear his excitement in his whisper. "Good morning"

"Good morning" I reply, so quietly I wonder if he can hear me. I can feel his grin stretch wider as he disconnects from me to grab plates and toppings for everyone; seeing him this happy makes me want to never stop talking to him.