Twenty-Six. Now I Persevere

"Why don't you wear cute little red dresses more often?" Storm asks as he eyes my dress as we approach the door to his share house, it's the riskiest thing I have worn since the night I attacked Travis.

"Maybe I will now, but the goal before was to be as invisible as possible" I laugh, my hand clutched firmly in his.

"That didn't work, I always noticed you"

"Well, I guess I am glad then" I smile.

"So does this new, more open you drink?"

"Not at parties but maybe in future with you"

"Now that is something that I very much look forward too, you and alcohol would be the most interesting of mixes"

"Probably chaos"

"Especially if Amalie is around"

"Let's just focus on having fun tonight, okay?"

"As you wish" He bows, chuckling as he opens the door. The surprise that takes over my face at the amount of people at this party is strikingly obvious, usually their parties are on the smaller side and are filled with people more concerned with conversation than drinks, apparently tonight is the opposite.

"This is wilder than normal" I state as we move through the house, trying to locate our group of friends who are probably in the kitchen, eating all the snacks that Aiden and Sutton put out.

"It happens sometimes, the frat's aren't always a piece of cake for everyone"

"You included?"

"They're too messy, my parents drilled into me the importance of cleanliness and for everything to have its place, a frat is the exact opposite and drinking just makes me more irritated"

"Seems like both of our parents impacted our lives"

"I think it was their stress that made them so hard on me, they didn't really want a child, but it happened, and they dealt with it the only way they knew how, by training me to do everything perfectly. Obviously, that isn't possible so I was a disappointment to them, and I have spent the last three years trying to prove to them that I can do this"

"I don't think you need to prove anything to them; they should be proud of who you already are"

"Yeah, I know that now, it is one of the many things you have taught me"

"I taught you things?" I ask shyly, my cheeks warm.

"So many things, but that list is for another time, let's go and see our friends"

The music around me is loud but doesn't bother me as much as it used too, the dirty dancing and multiple people hooking up in corners. It is the party scene the I think I always wanted but as I see the beaming faces of my friends, I realise that it's the friendships that I really craved. Their smiles only get wider as they see Storm and I approaching, Sutton rushing forward to throw her arms around me, pulling me into a strong hug that is full of more love than I deserve.

"You were incredible, I have told Amalie as well, but you, you just are more amazing than I imagined, and I am so proud of you" She squeals, and I just laugh at her enthusiasm.

"Couldn't have done it without her" I say, which causes Storm to smile brighter, though she tries to disguise her excitement.

"Glad to have you back, psycho" Cedric laughs, referring to my jealous outburst at Trev's party.

"Whatever, good to see you too" I laugh, reciprocating his hug, then hugging a very happy Aiden who seems to be on his fourth or fifth drink and struggling to stand.