Seventeen. After The Game

Knowing it is a charity game is the only reason I drag myself out of the apartment and along with Amalie, as Storm's girlfriend he didn't then start expecting me to watch the games but this one felt important. I think I would get yelled at if hardcore fans found out I wouldn't come for even my boyfriend.

The football game is what Amalie has been on edge about since she arrived, I was the one that had to convince her to come and I get it, our trips to football games were tainted by awful things, but I am trying to be better.

"Nel?" Amalie starts, our hands interlocked just before the start of the game as we ascend the steps. "You know I will always try and protect you, right?"

"Of course!

Are you okay??"

"It's not just the week off that made me come up here, I would have but that plan got overshadowed with Northern Arizona University was chosen to play here for the charity match..."

"Amalie... they aren't"

"I'm sorry" She nods, as nausea rushes through my body and I am glad we are sitting down because my legs go numb. "Not everyone but, Trev is"

"Why didn't you say something!!

I would have never come to this stupid game if I knew

Oh my"

"I didn't tell you because you looked so happy and your growing and healing and you were the one that wanted to come today; for Storm. I didn't want to be the one to take it away from you, I hate that I am"

"I'm going to be sick"

My fingers are trembling as I type, my other is wrapped in Amalie's as she huddles me close to her body. "As soon as the game ends, I will grab the car, you can grab Storm and we can leave!"

I can only nod feebly in response, swallowing down the pile that rises in my throat and blinking back the emotion in my eyes. Amalie is right, I wanted to be here.

Storm helps me be a better and more confident person, reinforcing the fact that I cannot and refuse to live my life in fear, I have to believe that if it comes down to it Storm will choose me. I would choose him every time for as long as he will let me, truth out there or not.

A sadistic smile pokes at my lips every time Storm slams into Travis and sends him flying into the ground with no help off the grass, hearing Amalie mutter, harder, every time made breathing a little easier. Kath better be proud of me for not running for the hills.

They won, much to Amalie's excitement and yet my happiness for Strom and the charities doesn't rise.

"I don't think I can do it A"

"I promise you; no one will recognise you"

"How can you promise that?"

"Because I still have to see these boys several times a week, we may not be friends anymore, but I know they are still idiots and they won't pay enough attention to see the similarities. The only thing that would give you away is your voice, and that's off the table"

"Congratulations me"

"Nel, I know you're frightened but they were always going to show up one day, if it came down to it I know Storm would beat their asses if you asked"

"I won't let him fight them"

"Then let him help you fight for yourself and this light"

She wants me to tell him, she's been advocating for it for months. Longer than we have been dating.