Chapter 10 - Flu Season

Criticism spot!

This is one of my usual long chapters :)

Crutchie's POV

It had been a few weeks since I had told Jack about the night I ran away, and just as I had hoped, it did help me feel better. My nightmares had actually been lessening, and I felt like I could relax a little. It was getting real cold out now, and each day was getting harder on my foot, as the cold weather always has made it more sensitive. I also didn't have any long sleeve shirts still, and refused to take any of Jack's out of guilt and embarrassment. 

The bell rang and woke us up, but I didn't move, as I immediately felt pain in my leg, not to mention I was freezing, so I scooted closer to Jack. He laughed a little as I did so, making me smile. He ran his fingers through my hair, not insisting that we should get up, as he usually would.

"Foot hurtin'?" He asked, and I nodded. "Wow, it really does get bad in the cold, huh?" I nodded a second time, keeping my eyes closed. "You cold?"

"Mhm," I mumbled, finally looking at him. 

"Just wear one of my shirts," he insisted, but I shook my head.

"No, I'm alright." I could tell he wanted to fight me on it, but knew I wouldn't give up.

"Fine, but if it's colder out tomorrow, you have to. Deal?" I laughed a little at him, and he smiled.

"Deal."

As we got ready I noticed I'd shiver every now and then, making Jack look at me to see if I was alright. I ignored his looks, acting as though nothing had happened. When we reached the square, the two of us looked around for Race, as he hadn't caught up with us on our walk. He wasn't anywhere to be found, though, so after sending everybody out, Jack pulled Romeo aside.

"Hey, where's Race?" He asked, trying not to seem worried.

"Oh, he's out sick. Bad cold." Romeo left the square right after answering, not even waiting around to see Jack's reaction. I could tell he was even more worried, and I quickly remembered his sister.

"Let's go see him," Jack said without looking at me, and I followed close behind.

He headed straight to a room on the second level of the lodging house, staying quiet. We reached a door near the end of the hall and he knocked, still not looking at me.

"Yeah?" Race said, and Jack opened the door. "Oh, hey guys!" He had a big smile on his face, despite the fact that he clearly didn't feel well.

"Hey Race, how're you doin'?" Jack asked, smiling kindly.

"Not too good, but it's just a cold. I'll be over it in a day or two." He coughed a bit as he finished speaking, going back to smiling once he had recovered.

"Alright, well we just wanted to see how you were doing. Do you need anything?" Jack kept smiling, and Race shook his head.

"No, I'm alright. Thanks, though, you guys are the best," he shifted a bit so he was laying down again, pulling the blanket up on himself.

"Well you just let us know if you need somethin', alright?" Race nodded as we left, continuing to smile.

As we went to sell I could tell Jack was upset, as he was far quieter than usual. I couldn't take it any longer, so I pulled him aside, feeling worried.

"Jack, are you alright?" I asked, and he shook his head after a bit of hesitation. 

"I just... I get freaked out when fellas get sick, especially the ones I'm closer to. That's all." He sighed, and I felt a bit relieved as he spoke, glad that nothing else was wrong, considering how dramatic our lives had been since we met.