Chapter 20 - Rumors

Criticism spot! :)

Time skip ~ 5 weeks

TW - F LGBT+ slur is used. Don't worry, I am lesbian, I may say it.

Crutchie's POV

As usual, I tried to ignore the morning bell, shifting closer to Jack and making him chuckle. Today, though, I woke up in a great mood, as I got to take my makeshift cast off. The last five weeks had been going great, especially since I hadn't been having many nightmares. When I did have them, it didn't even take me too long to calm back down and go back to sleep, so overall I was finally feeling great. Rather than begging to go back to sleep, I looked up at Jack, smiling.

"I take it you're excited to get your arm outta that sling?" He asked, and I nodded, making him chuckle more. "Well, let's get up then." 

I got ready far quicker than I usually did, just wanting to get to the lodging house so Race could take off my 'cast.' Jack kept smiling whenever he saw how excited I was, eventually walking over to me and helping me up. We wasted no time and went right to Race's room, being greeted with a smile.

"Hey! C'mon in," Race said, motioning for me to sit on his bed. "I'll be slow when doin' this, just to be safe, alright?" I nodded, smiling at him. "Okay, let's get this thing off ya." He took a knife and gently began to cut through the cast, being extra careful to not accidentally cut me or anything. It wasn't long before he got it off, smiling at me again. "There you go!" I then looked to Jack, seeing him smiling, too. 

"Thanks Race," I said, getting up and taking my crutch from Jack. We started to walk out, and for once I began the day in a good mood. 

"What about your foot?" Race then asked, making Jack and I turn around.

"What about it?" I said, confused. I looked to Jack, seeing he was just as confused as I was.

"Your foot gettin' better?" He continued, and I tensed up, not having thought about it.

"Uh- I dunno," I got out, looking down.

"When was the last time you tried to walk on it?" He pushed, and I looked to Jack, unsure. He saw how bothered I was, knowing he'd have to answer for me.

"It's been a few months I think," he said, looking to Race. 

"Maybe you should try later," Race suggested, smiling kindly. I knew he wasn't trying to upset me, as he didn't know the exact extent of how bad my foot was. 

"Yeah, maybe," I said, turning to leave with Jack.

We continued forward in silence, Race's words still in the back of my head. I started to wonder if maybe he did have a point, and maybe I should try it. I continued to debate trying it or not all throughout the morning, not saying a word as we stood in line or once Jack and I headed out. I was completely distracted by my own thoughts, not even noticing Jack looking at me.

"I'm not lettin' you try to walk," he said, seemingly reading my mind.

"Why not?" I asked quietly, looking at him with pain clearly written across my face.

"You know it won't end well. It'll only hurt you," he said, and we stopped walking to look at one another.

"Trying it once wouldn't be that bad," I thought I'd try to convince him to let me try, but deep down I knew it wouldn't work.

"I'm sorry, but I ain't lettin' you." He said sternly, shutting me down. I looked down to the ground, knowing he wouldn't cave. I kept my eyes on the ground as they burned with tears, trying not to cry.