Chapter 11 - Not a Problem

Criticism spot! :)

~ Time skip, just a week.

Crutchie's POV

I was a kid again, and was trying to get home as quickly as I could after a long day at school. The bullying was worse than usual today, and I just wanted my Mom. I opened the door and ran to my room, sobbing into my pillow. Eventually, the door to my bedroom slowly opened, and I looked up to see my Mom, smiling. She looked just as I remembered her. She was just over five feet tall, and had blonde hair that flowed down to her waist. She was wearing her favorite green skirt, with a button-up blouse, looking like someone you knew you could trust.

"Bad day?" She asked, walking over to me. She knelt down beside my bed and hugged me, allowing me to cry into her shoulder. It only lasted for a few seconds, though, as she let go and backed away from me. Suddenly, she had a suitcase in her hand, and just stared at me silently.

"Where are you going?" I asked, wiping my face dry.

"I'm leaving." She said coldly. I stood up off my bed and noticed I was now back to being sixteen, but didn't have a crutch.

"Why?"  My Mom had a blank look on her face, nothing like how she ever acted in real life.

"I can't take your father's abuse anymore." She began to back away, but I grabbed her arm, making her stop.

"Wait- take me with you," I begged, beginning to cry again.

"Charlie, you know I can't do that." 

"What? Why?" I let go of her arm, backing away.

"You're not worth it. You'd be nothing but a problem. I mean, look at you," she said, motioning to my crutch that was suddenly under my arm. I stared at her as she spoke, feeling as though this wasn't my mother, as she'd never talk to me like this.

"But I'm- I'm your kid, please don't leave me with him," I begged one last time as she started to back away again, now in the doorway of my bedroom.

"I don't need you weighing me down." She said, closing the door.

I woke up before the bell, quietly crying to myself. I turned over so my back was to Jack, not wanting him to see that I had been crying. I kept replaying the dream in my head, causing me to cry harder each time. After just a few minutes, the bell rang, making me jump. I felt Jack begin to rub my back gently, likely wondering why I wasn't facing him.

"Morning," he said, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to say anything back. He sat up a bit so he could see my face, but I didn't look at him. "You okay?" He asked, and I shook my head. "What's wrong?"

"Just leave me alone," I managed to get out, sounding destroyed. I could tell Jack wanted to push me a bit, but ultimately he decided against it, standing up to get ready. 

I continued to lay down for a few more minutes before sitting up, rubbing my eyes and stretching. Jack came over to me, handing me a set of clothing. I noticed he had given me one of his own shirts, but rather than decline it, I put it on, feeling like he was hugging me. Once I had changed he gently pushed my hair back from my face, smiling at me. 

"You ready? We can stay for a bit longer if you'd like," he offered, but I shook my head.

"No, we can go." I said. Jack helped me to stand and I immediately noticed how badly my foot was hurting, as it was especially cold out. I tensed up as it washed through me, and I felt Jack grow worried.

"Foot?" He asked, and I nodded. "Let me know when you're ready." I couldn't help but smile as he spoke, feeling protected and safe.

I ignored the pain throughout our walk to the square, and didn't join in on the conversation Jack and Race were having on the way. When we got to the square and the Delanceys opened the gates, the guys started teasing them, as usual. Instead of keeping his anger directed at the ones who were sayin' stuff, Oscar turned to me, knowing I was an easy target. He pushed me down to the ground, and I managed to be silent, despite the pain that shot through my leg as I fell. Race got in Oscar's face, and Jack was at my side, helping me up.