Chapter 30 - Believing

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up to find I was being held tightly by Jack, making me smile a little. I closed my eyes again and waited patiently for the bell to ring, listening to his rhythmic breathing. Finally, it rang, waking Jack. He loosened his hold on me so we could look at one another, and as he always does, he pushed my hair from my face, smiling. I smiled back, feeling mesmerised by his stunning blue eyes as the sun rose and lit them up. 

"What?" He chuckled, noticing how I was staring at him in awe.

"You're just so beautiful," I said, making him blush right away. "Awh, you flattered, Jacky?" I teased, making him jokingly roll his eyes.

"If you think I'm beautiful, then you'd be blown away by what I'm lookin' at." He smiled some more, and now it was me who was blushing, making Jack laugh some more. "How're you feeling?" He then asked, catching me a tiny bit off guard.

"Good, why?" Jack suddenly looked confused, which in turn made me get confused as well.

"Because of that really, really bad nightmare last night?" I stared at him, seeing that he was getting worried.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said, and he pushed my hair back again.

"You had probably one of the worst nightmares you've ever had last night," he explained, but I just kept staring at him.

"I don't remember that," I admitted, only making Jack look more worried.

"You don't?" I shook my head, trying hard to remember. "You woke up and started to freak out, you kept not being able to tell where you were, but then you'd suddenly remember, and then you'd go back to not knowing over and over," Jack looked away from me as he spoke, sounding upset. "You were so terrified." 

"I don't remember any of that," I repeated, looking down. 

"That's really not good," he mumbled, his expression now looking beyond worried. 

"I'm sure it's nothing, it's fine," I then sat up and he followed, his eyes still on me. 

"Crutchie I really don't think it's fine," he pushed, but I smiled, trying to calm him.

"Jack, I'm okay. Don't worry, alright?" He still didn't look convinced, making me feel guilty.

"Can I at least ask Race about it?" He asked, and I sighed.

"If it'll help you feel better, then of course." He stood and kissed me on the head, getting ready quickly so we could catch Race on our way to the square.

We waited patiently outside the lodging house, and despite his efforts, I could tell he was still extremely worried about me. He kept trying not to look at me, as each time he did, he'd only get more worried for some reason. Finally, when Race came out, Jack jumped to his feet and ran right over to him.

"Race, I seriously need to talk to you," he said, and I just stood behind him. 

"What's goin' on?" Race looked at me for a moment before looking back at Jack, already starting to worry.

"Crutchie had probably one of the worst nightmares he's ever had last night, but doesn't remember waking up or anything." Race stood for a second, confused. "He woke up and was panicking, finding it difficult to understand where he was or what was happening, and it took an extremely long time to calm him down, but he doesn't remember it." Race then looked at me, making Jack do the same.

"Wait- you seriously don't remember anything?" He asked, and I felt embarrassed, shaking my head. 

"I didn't think it was a big deal," I mumbled, glancing at Jack.