Chapter 44 - Walking

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I woke up with my back against Jack, his arms around me. I could tell I was going to have a rougher day, as the moment I woke up I felt bad pain in my leg, along with feeling as though I couldn't get up. I turned over so I was facing Jack, and he smiled.

"Morning," he said, his voice scratchy.

"Morning," Jack was always able to tell when something was wrong, so I tried my very best to seem just fine. Jack studied me for a second, not falling for it.

"Everything okay?" I sighed, trying not to let myself think I was an issue.

"Mhm, I just feel sad for no reason," I explained, and Jack smiled again.

"I'll let you wear one of my shirts to help you feel better," he said, making me smile back. He got up and grabbed me some clothes, then changing into his own. 

"You guys awake?" We heard from below, catching us off guard.

"Mhm, come on up," Jack replied, already knowing it was Race to likely check on my hand. He came to the top and smiled at the two of us, walking right over to me.

"Pretty sure you know why I'm here," he said, making us chuckle. Jack sat beside me while Race knelt in front of me, waiting for me to put my hand out. I faced it palm up as usual, waiting for Race to tell me to go. "Okay, if you're ready, go." I went to close my hand, getting near halfway, which was far better than I thought I'd do. As I gently tried to go even further, though, pain shot through my hand, making me tense up.

"Shit," I said through gritted teeth, closing my eyes.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked, sounding concerned.

"I got this weird wave of pain, I just need a second," I explained, glancing at him.

"I ain't gonna make you open it, just go easy on it today, okay?" I nodded, trying my best to smile at Race. "I'll wait at the bottom, see you soon."

"Something else seems wrong," Jack said once Race had left, looking me up and down.

"I don't know how you can tell so much by just looking at me," I joked, making him chuckle just a bit. "My foot's hurting, dunno why," I admitted, only making him worry more.

"We'll go slow to the square, okay?" He smiled sympathetically, making me feel guilty.

"I don't want to slow us down-"

"You ain't. I promise." I sighed, knowing he wouldn't give up on it.

"Okay, if you say so."

We started on our way with Romeo eventually joining us, making me far more insecure about me making us go slower. This feeling only worsened when I could tell he was getting irritated, and even Jack seemed to notice, as he seemed to try blocking me from him while we walked. Just like he had when I got my arm broken, Romeo finally stopped walking, looking at me.

"C'mon, seriously?" He spat, making me immediately tense up. 

"Romeo, shut it. You don't have to walk with us, you can go ahead." Race quickly jumped in, likely wanting to beat Jack to it so he didn't get too mad.

"It's just annoying," he continued, rolling his eyes.

"You act like I'm doing this on purpose." I said, surprising all three of them and making them look to me.

"I ain't saying that, I'm just saying that you should know how to go faster by now." Romeo only made me angrier, and I clutched the handle of my crutch real tight.