Chapter 22 - A Familiar Face

Criticism spot! :)

Hey! We're getting close to where the musical takes place! 

ALSO, this is another long chapter! :)

Crutchie's POV

The bell woke me and I quickly noticed I was still close to Jack, and I smiled a bit, listening to him breathe gently. I then felt him gently run his fingers through my hair, only making me smile more. I looked up at him, trying to ignore the aching I felt in my back.

"How're you?" He asked, his voice rough.

"My back doesn't hurt as bad," I continued to smile at him, and he did the same.

"Good," he sighed, stretching a little before looking back to me. "We need to talk about last night," he finally said, and I nodded. "Tell me what happened."

"Remember how Scott, Bobby, and Oscar had caught me alone before they attacked the both of us?" I began, and he nodded. "Scott said I should..." I choked up, hearing him say it to me again. 

"You don't have to repeat it, I know," Jack quickly jumped in, noticing how hard it was for me to try and say what had been yelled at me.

"Well after that Oscar said it'd help everyone if I did, especially you, and that I was ruinin' your life," I got quieter as I spoke, finding it hard to look at Jack as I noticed he grew angry.

"Those idiots have no idea what they're talking about," he quickly said, making me smile a little as I felt protected. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you," he then added, his tone shifting.

"I'm sorry I believed them," I grew quieter yet, looking down. 

"Hey," Jack started to make me look at him, smiling at me with sympathy once I did. "There's nothing to say sorry for. You've gone nearly your entire life with your Dad and kids at school being shit to you, and only within the last year have you started to understand that what they told you wasn't true. It's going to be hard, but I'm going to help you through it, just like you're helping me be a better person." I smiled even more, cuddling up against him some more.

"Thank you for bein' so patient with me," I said.

"RIght back at you," he joked, making both of us laugh. "We should make sure your back is okay," I quickly looked up at him, my smile dropping.

"Please, can we skip it for today? I'll make sure I'm careful in the shower, I just... I can't do this," I pleaded, and Jack sighed.

"Alright, alright. But only today," I smiled again, then noticing the noise from outside the door and realizing Jack would be late if he stayed any longer.

"You should get ready," I said at last, moving away from Jack. He nodded, getting out of bed and starting to get ready. It didn't take him long to get dressed, so he walked back to the bed, kissing me on the head.

"Go back to sleep, it'll help you feel better," he smiled at me one more time before leaving, and I fell back asleep minutes later.

I got woken up from heavy footsteps stomping down the hallway, and I began to panic almost immediately, thinking my Dad had come home and he was coming to my room to beat me. A minute or so went by with me breathing heavily and sobbing, sitting up in the bed as though it'd help me in some way. Jack opened the door gently, likely not wanting to risk waking me had I been asleep, but once he looked in he saw that I was having a panic attack, so he quickly closed the door and rushed over to my bedside.

"You're at the lodging house," he said right away, and I could tell he was trying to do what he had watched Race do a couple of times. I stared straight ahead as he sat down beside me, continuing to breathe heavily. "Hey, look at me," he spoke quietly, and I did just that, still scared. "See, it's me," he then smiled at me, and I leaned in so I was laying against him. "You're safe," he put his arms around me and kept speaking as quietly as he could without whispering, and I began to calm down.