Chapter 13 - The Refuge

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I shifted closer to Jack as I woke up from yet another nightmare, and cried silently. I laid there in silence for a while before I felt Jack shift, soon running his fingers through my hair.

"You alright?" He asked quietly, and I shook my head. "That's okay, just let me know when you're feelin' better. We can lay here until then." I couldn't help but smile a little, feeling truly loved.

A few minutes went by before I looked up at Jack, and he gently wiped my face dry with his thumb. I took a deep, shaky breath, unable to stop smiling.

"Nightmare?" Jack asked, and I nodded.

"One of those ones that feels very real," I mumbled, wishing we could go back to sleep. I rubbed my eyes, my smile dropping.

"You sure you're alright?" He asked, and I nodded again. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just needed to calm down." Jack smiled at me as I spoke, and I felt my face grow hot. He then stretched before getting up, and I followed.

I got ready slower than usual, feeling emotionally exhausted after the previous day. As I buttoned my shirt, I felt Jack put his arms around me as he stood behind me, making me smile. He kissed me on the cheek, making me blush.

"Ready?" He said, and I nodded. "Go easy on yourself, alright?" I turned to face him, my smile only growing as we looked at one another.

On our walk to the square I remembered that Jack had said he'd let his soft side show in front of the fellas, and I immediately felt guilty. I then sighed, looking at him.

"Jack, you ain't gotta be soft to me in front of the guys, it's okay," I eventually said, catching him off guard.

"I'm just fine showing it, I'm just not fine with being that nice to everyone else. You're the only one I'm gonna be soft to, and they'll know that." He reassured me, and we went back to silence.

To my relief, Jack didn't need to show that side of him today, as it played out like any other. I hit a good stride while selling, and was nearing the end of my bag when a man walked right up to me, but didn't hand me any money. I wondered for a moment if I might've known him from somewhere, but no matter how hard I thought, I couldn't think of anything.

"Haven't seen you before, are you new?" He asked, and it was clear by the way he talked that he was one of those rich people.

"I've been sellin' for just a few months is all, sir," I said, smiling.

"Any specific reason?" I stared at him for a moment, confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked, and he chuckled.

"Any reason you suddenly started just a few months ago?" He snickered once more at me, but I ignored it.

"Needed to make money, sir," I answered, speaking quietly out of embarrassment. 

"Don't you have parents?" He didn't wait for me to finish speaking before he chimed back in, making me grow just a bit irritated.

"Uh- no, sir, no I don't," I looked down at the ground for a moment before looking back at him, my heart starting to pound just a bit.

"What's your name, kid?" He asked, and I nearly let my real name slip. Thankfully, I caught myself, taking a deep breath.

"Crutchie," was all I said, wishing this guy would walk away.

"Well, Crutchie, since you're a newsie, do you think you could help me find someone?" He asked, and I shrugged.

"I can try, sir," he then turned to a nearby alley, motioning for me to follow. I did just that, not questioning it.