Chapter 33 - Beyond Important

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

When I woke up I felt far weaker than the previous day, but the pain was just as bad as before. I didn't bother to open my eyes, feeling as though I couldn't even if I wanted to. I heard Jack shuffle around after the bell rang, kneeling down at my bedside. 

"Are you awake?" He asked, and I nodded. "Are you too weak to open your eyes?" He somehow guessed, and I once again nodded. "I'm going to send the fellas out and I'll be right back, okay?" Before I could respond there was a knock on the door, catching us off guard. Jack got up and went to open it, and I waited patiently to find out who it was.

"Uh- hi," the person began, and it was clearly Race. "I came here to say sorry," he mumbled. The footsteps then grew nearer to me, indicating he was now beside me. "Crutchie, I'm really, really sorry for last night. I was just trying to help, but I went about it the totally wrong way, and I'm just so sorry." With all the strength I could gather I opened my eyes, looking at him.

"It's okay," I got out, smiling as best I could. 

"Hey, how about I stay here all day so you can go and keep yourself busy, hm?" Race then offered, and Jack looked to me. I nodded to show I thought it was a good idea, and Jack understood, sighing.

"Alright, I'll be back tonight." After a moment of hesitation he left, leaving just Race and I.

"I'm gonna get you a glass of water and some new food, okay?" I nodded, settling back down. "You can go back to bed if you'd like, I'm just gonna leave it on the nightstand and then sit on the other bed to make sure you're alright. I'll be right back," he said, leaving the room.

As the day went on I could feel myself begin to lose my grip on life, finding it difficult to want to keep fighting myself. I didn't touch the water or food all day, falling asleep every now and again and only waking up from how much pain I was feeling. I felt relieved when I heard fellas start to get back, knowing I'd see Jack soon. I could tell Race got up off the bed and went to the hallway, likely wanting to talk to Jack before he went in. 

"Jack, I seriously need to talk to you," I heard Race say, making my heart plummet.

"What's goin' on?" Jack asked, clearly wanting to rush into the room. 

"I, uhm..." Race trailed off, his voice becoming extremely shaky as he likely began to cry. "I really don't think he has much longer." He finally got out, and the two fell silent.

"What do you mean?" Jack asked in denial, his voice becoming just as shaky as Race's.

"It's beyond clear that he's struggling to stay alive any longer," he said, his breathing heavy from crying. I then heard footsteps leaving, as Race likely walked away to cry. A few seconds passed before Jack came in, sitting down on the bed.

"Hey," he whispered, and I smiled a tiny, tiny bit to show I was awake. "I won't talk too much so you can save your energy, alright? I'm gonna stay in this very spot all night, and if you want to try eating I'll gladly help you." I nodded, showing I understood.

We spent the rest of the night in complete silence, and I was able to hear Jack sketching as he sat there. Just as I had all day I kept drifting in and out of sleep, and each time I woke up I could still hear Jack's pencil against his paper. It felt like entire days passed before the bell rang, but Jack didn't move an inch.

"I'm gonna go ask Race to check on you since he's better at this stuff, okay?" I couldn't even nod, feeling him get up seconds later. It wasn't long before the two had returned, Race kneeling down in front of me while Jack sat back on the bed.