Chapter 17 - Advice

Criticism spot! :)

Jack's POV

I woke up from Crutchie quickly moving away from me, breathing heavily. I sat up with him and pulled him close, letting him calm down a bit in silence. As we sat there I remembered that he wasn't able to walk at all, and grew more worried as I knew he was so broken last night over it. Once his breathing was calmer I backed up a little to look at him, smiling kindly.

"Nightmare?" I asked, and he nodded. "Do you want to talk about it?" He looked down, seeming embarrassed. 

"My Dad was mad that I couldn't walk," he mumbled, breaking my heart a bit.

"Well he ain't here. You're alright," he looked back up at me, trying to smile but clearly struggling a little. "I know you're upset about your ankle, but it's just twisted. You'll be alright in two or three days." He then sighed, and I could tell he was thinking, but was unsure if he should share it with me. I then pushed his hair from his face, trying to make him more comfortable.

"I wish I could walk normally," he continued mumbling, his breathing continuing to calm down as we sat together.

"I know you do," was all I said back, knowing he had more to say.

"I still feel like such an issue," he then looked out to the sunrise, turning back to me after a moment. 

"You aren't, I promise," I said, and he smiled a little. "You do so much on your own that it actually amazes me," I smiled back at him, and his eyes widened just a bit.

"Really?" He asked, making me both happy and sad at the same time, as his face lit up as he asked, however it hurt that he didn't already know that. 

"Mhm." He looked down at his hands for a moment, now fully clamed down. "I've got to get ready to sell," I finally said, wishing I could stay put forever. He nodded, continuing to smile at me. "Let me help you change first, okay?" 

I grabbed a shirt for him and helped guide his arm through the sleeve, being as gentle as I could. He didn't flinch or anything, which I made me smile a little, knowing he was healing. Before he went to button his shirt I stopped him, making him look at me.

"Is it okay if I look at your bruises quick? I just wanna make sure you're doin' alright," I asked, and he nodded. 

I did just that, seeing that they had already begun to fade. I backed away from him and kissed him on the head, heading to get dressed. After I had changed I looked over to check on him, seeing that he was struggling to get the buttons at the top of his shirt done, as he couldn't get his right arm up that high from how it was wrapped. I walked over and silently helped him, smiling. He looked away from me, though, upset.

"Hey," I said, gently lifting his head to look at me. "You ain't a problem." I reassured him, and he finally smiled back at me. "And if I ever somehow come across your Dad, I'll make sure he learns his lesson," I joked, making him laugh a little bit. "I've gotta go, but I'll be back tonight. No walking at all, okay? It'll take that ankle longer to heal if you do." 

"I won't, I promise," he said, a smile still on his face. 

"Try to get some more sleep. I'll be home as soon as I can." I stood up and started to head down the ladder, looking at him one more time before I did. With all the courage I could, I took a deep breath, smiling. "I love you," I got out, my heart pounding. He stared at me for a moment, seeming surprised.

"I love you too," he got out, his smile only getting bigger. I then went down the ladder, unable to stop smiling.

We were waiting in line as usual, but I felt like a piece of me was missing, as I always did when Crutchie had to stay home. Race was able to tell, so he kept talking to me in order to distract me, which I always appreciated. I got my papes and began to skim the pages, when three boys walked up to me. They were just a bit younger than me, but not by much. They had been here for a while, too, and I knew them to be trouble makers, as they were also the guys that made fun of Crutchie that one game night. Their names were Bobby, Scott, and Oscar, just like the Delancey brother. I rolled up the pape and put it in my bag, smiling at the three as they approached.