Chapter 14 - Depression

Criticism spot! :)

*** MAJOR NOTE. Depression is a serious mental illness that many people deal with, and this includes myself. While there are many common symptoms/behaviors for depression, NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME. I wrote the behaviors in this chapter based on both my own "depressive episodes" along with how my friends act with theirs (my three best friends also all have diagnosed depression), but I just wanted to make it clear that I am fully aware that not everyone handles it the same. 

Jack's POV

I woke up a little bit before the bell from Crutchie moving away from me, and I immediately assumed he was having a nightmare and had woken up. When I looked at him, though, he was clearly still asleep, but was just moving away from me out of instinct. I gently shook him in order to wake him before he got so scared that he'd do so himself, and his eyes fluttered open. 

"Hm...?" He said, looking at me. "Did I miss the bell..?" I couldn't help but smile as he looked at me with his morning hair, his voice scratchy.

"No, you were havin' a nightmare so I woke you before it got bad," I answered, and he smiled.

"Oh, thanks," he rubbed his eyes and moved closer to me again, closing his eyes.

"We should get up," I said, and he sighed.

"No thanks," he mumbled, making me laugh.

"Then how about I get up while you sleep for a bit longer?" He quickly put his arm around me, keeping me down.

"No, I like you here," I laughed once more, unable to stop smiling as he acted cutely.

"Did you not sleep much?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"Foot hurt too bad. Kept wakin' up." I played with his hair a bit as he talked, feeling bad for him.

"Still hurt right now?" He nodded, shifting even closer to me.

"I go to sleep now," he mumbled, and I laughed. 

"Alright, fine, just a few more minutes."

"I always get my way," he teased, his speech already slurring as he fell asleep.

Once the bell rang he stayed asleep, his arm no longer around me. I smiled once more and got up as gently as I could so I wouldn't wake him. To my relief I didn't move him at all, and got ready as quietly as I could. After I was all dressed I knelt down beside him, moving him softly.

"Hey," I whispered, and he looked up at me, stretching.

"What time is it?" He asked, sitting up.

"Only five past six. I tried to let you sleep as long as I could," I said, smiling at him. "How bad does it hurt?" I motioned to his foot, and he sighed.

"Real bad," was all he said, rubbing his eyes.

"We've gotta change the wrap," I pushed his hair out of his face, and he looked at me as though he was begging me not to change it. Despite how badly I wanted to say we didn't need to, I knew we did, so I took a deep breath, smiling at him a bit more. "You get ready while I go get some of the bandage stuff from Race, alright?" He nodded, and I took off down the ladder.

I went right to the lodging house and knocked on Race's door, and he came to open it right away, smiling as he did so.

"Morning!" He said, seeming far more awake than I was.

"Morning, I need some of that... Bandage stuff for Crutchie," he chuckled at me and went into his room, grabbing some.

"Here's some of 'that bandage stuff,'" He mocked, and I jokingly rolled my eyes.