Chapter 40 - Anger

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

"What?" Jack asked in disbelief, seeming just as shocked as I was.

"It's from my Mom," I repeated, looking back down at the letter and starting to read it.

Dear Charlie,

I'm sure this letter is quite a shock to you. I hope that you don't resent me, your Mother, for anything that has happened. I found out how to reach you from the Young Boys Refuge, as they had contacted me about taking you in. I'm upset that you got yourself into trouble and ended up there, but I suppose I shouldn't be too mad, as I should've been there to stop you. Anyways, I've wanted to reach out to you for quite some time. I will be in New York this Thursday, which should be the day you receive this. I'm here for business, so I will be busy during the day, but I plan to stop by the "lodging house" at around 10 o'clock at night to see you. I hope that you'll meet me there so we can reconnect. I've missed you.

Love,
Mom.

I stared at the letter for a moment, in total shock about what I had just read. I had allowed Jack to read the letter along with me, and he stayed quiet for a moment once he finished reading, seeming to be at a loss for words.

"Is she fucking serious?" He suddenly spat, causing me to look at him. "I'm going to send everyone out and then we'll talk about this, hold on." 

Jack stood on the wagon and did as he said, and I took the time to read the letter a second time. Once he had finished he came back over to me, and we left the square to the nearest alley, wanting privacy.

"Are you gonna see her?" He asked, and I sat for a moment, thinking.

"I... I think so..?" I got out, looking at him.

"You don't owe her anything, Crutch. If you don't want to see her then I will do absolutely everything in my power to keep her away from here." He said firmly, but I shook my head.

"I think I should see her," I said, clearly surprising him a bit. "I want to tell her how... Pissed off I am," I began, gripping my crutch tightly. "I don't know what I'll do if I panic, though."

"How about if you panic, you just look to me and I'll step in?" Jack offered, and I smiled a little.

"That'd be great." I said, sighing. "It's real nice of her to let me know she's visiting the day of," I joked, relieving a bit of tension.

"I was thinking the same thing," Jack said, and we took off for him to sell.

Jack had brought my journal for me again, which really helped since I got to write all about my frustrations and fears about seeing her. Jack kept checking on me now and then, likely not being able to tell quite how I was feeling, and to be fair, I wasn't even sure how I felt. Once he had finished he helped me up from the ground, not pushing me to talk in case I wasn't ready to. I could tell he was nervous about it as well, but I knew he wouldn't admit it, as he didn't want to stress me out.

"Race said we could play cards tonight, would that help you get your mind off things?" He offered, and I nodded, trying to smile. "Alright, we'll head right there." He ruffled my hair and we kept walking, not saying anything further.

We sat down at the table and still didn't talk, as I was getting more and more nervous with every single second that went by. I was picking at my nails, something I always did when nervous about confrontation, completely ignoring my surroundings. It was only when Race walked in that I was brought back, realizing Jack had been looking at me.