Chapter 49 - Proposal

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I shot awake from one of my signature nightmares, somehow managing not to wake Jack up. My breathing was quick already and I had tear-stained cheeks, my entire body shaking. I went to rest my head in my hands, but as I went to open my left hand pain shot through my arm, something that hadn't happened for a while. This only made me cry harder, both from the pain, but also because I was terrified I had somehow gone back on my progress with it. I pushed my hair back with my right hand, trying my hardest to calm down. Jack shuffled a little from behind me, but I didn't turn to look at him.

"Crutchie? Are you okay?" He asked, sitting up.

"Mhm, I'm fine," I tried, knowing it wouldn't work.

"You're shaking like crazy," he pointed out, moving closer to me. "Baby, talk to me," he spoke softly, knowing I was fragile.

"Just... Had a nightmare, I'm okay," I still wouldn't look at him, trying to calm my breathing.

"What happened?" I sighed, giving in.

"It was more of a memory from my ninth birthday," I admitted, glancing at him.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" He was being patient as he always was, helping me to feel safer.

"I don't know why, but for some reason on my ninth birthday he just got... So pissed off. He stormed into my room and... He started hitting me for no reason, I didn't even have time to react to him coming in," I took a deep breath before I continued, wanting to make sure I wasn't panicking. "That's it, really. He did his usual stuff, but he was especially pissed off because it was my birthday. I have no idea why, he never did it again after that and hadn't done it before, but... Yeah." I looked at Jack once I had finished, seeing him smiling kindly. "It sucks sometimes because every time I try to make a new, happy memory, something he did comes back up, you know?"

"Mhm," Jack nodded, listening closely.

"I mean, I know that I'll be able to get over everything at some point. I know that I'll eventually be okay, but that doesn't mean it's not hard right now. Am I even making sense?" I asked, chuckling. Jack chuckled too, putting his arm around me.

"You are, don't worry." He assured me, smiling. "But even you saying that stuff is a step forward, even if it doesn't feel like it. You wouldn't have been able to say that to yourself a month ago, right?" I nodded, resting my head on Jack's shoulder. "And it makes sense that those memories get brought up, it's not something that's easy to forget. But you're way, way stronger than you think you are, and I know you can do this." I finally felt calm, never wanting to leave Jack's side.

"Thank you," I mumbled, smiling.

"No problem." He kissed me on the top of the head, then freezing for a second. "Hey, is something wrong with your hand?" He asked, noticing how I was keeping it still.

"Oh, uhm, that's another reason I was upset," I began, unsure how he'd react. "It hurt kinda bad to open it and I just... I got all freaked out." Jack began running his fingers through my hair, making sure I was calm.

"That's okay, I know why that upsets you. I'm sure it's just sore because it's still healing, okay? I promise that you're alright." The bell rang on cue, making me jump. I laughed at myself, allowing Jack to laugh, too.

"I will never get used to that," I joked, looking up at Jack.

"Well you don't need to," he smirked a little, my face going red. "I'll get you some clothes, okay?" I nodded, and Jack stood.