Chapter 25 - Home

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I waited in fear as the hours went by, hoping that Jack would return soon. Deep down, though, I knew it was completely hopeless. I watched slowly as it grew closer to noon, and felt my stomach begin to turn when boys were being called out every few minutes because their family was here. I looked out the window, praying that he'd show up at any second. When the door opened again, though, I knew it was over. Snyder looked at me, smirking.

"Charlie, your Dad's here. Let's go." He said, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I slowly stood and grabbed my crutch, moving slowly over to the door. Snyder slammed it behind us, and walked in front of me. Everything felt like it was going in slow motion as we grew closer to the front of the building, and finally, I saw my Dad there, smiling at me.

"Charlie!" He said, walking up to me and hugging me. I didn't hug him back, of course, instead remaining still as I tried not to cry. "C'mon, let's go home. We need to catch up!" He went for the front door, pausing to look at Snyder once more. The two exchanged looks before we left, beginning the dreadful walk home.

Jack's POV

I had found Race and Romeo and we had finally came up with a plan, but were cutting it close to noon while we ran as fast as we could to the refuge. We went up the fire escape as quickly as we could, and my heart was racing.

"Crutchie?" I whispered, but got no response. "Crutchie?" I asked louder this time, and once again, got no answer. I froze, trying to keep it together. Race came to the window next, knowing I needed help.

"Hey!" He called to the nearest kid, making him come to the window. "Where's Charlie?" He asked, and the kid glanced at me before looking back to Race, clearly not happy about what he had to say.

"He just left." It felt as though I had been punched in the stomach once those words left his mouth, and I nearly fell to my knees. Race and Romeo looked at one another, seeming to be just as upset as I was. 

"There's still time, we can track them down and take his Dad out before they get home!" Romeo quickly said, and Race nodded. 

"Just follow us, Jack," Race added, and I nodded. We took off running, not sure of where to start.

We were running down every street and alley possible, and it was hard for me to not call out for him. I knew I couldn't, though, as it would make things worse for him. We were searching for a long, long time before I could tell the two wanted to give up, as there was no way we'd catch them now. I didn't want to, however, and went down one more alley. I froze in my tracks when I saw Crutchie and his Dad, standing right in front of what I assumed was their house. Race and Romeo were quickly by my side, and I stepped forward to do something.

"Jack- stop, it's too late," Race said, grabbing my shoulder. 

I watched in horror as his Dad opened the door, and even from where I was standing, I had never seen Crutchie so terrified. His Dad grabbed him by his shirt collar and threw him inside as hard as he could, only making me angrier. Before closing the door, however, he threw his crutch into the street as though it was trash, which made it painfully clear that he was going to hurt Crutchie if he couldn't walk.

Crutchie's POV

I went up to my room as my Dad told me to do, seeing that it hadn't changed since I left. There was still a flattened cardboard box on the ground for my bed, and that was it. He pushed me inside, smirking at me as I fell to the ground.

"You're in for a good beating tonight, kid." He said before closing the door, locking it behind him.

I crawled over to my 'bed,' pulling my knees up against my chest, sobbing as quietly as I could. I was hoping that at any moment I'd wake up, and it would all be just a bad dream. Every time I heard any noise, I'd flinch, terrified that it was my Dad coming to the door. Eventually, I laid down, somehow managing to fall asleep.