Chapter 42 - Searching

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I was startled awake by a nightmare yet again, already crying and breathing heavily. I put my head in my hands, feeling Jack sit up next to me. He didn't touch me, however, likely not wanting to risk scaring me further.

"Hey," he whispered, still trying not to scare me. I lifted my head and looked at him, exhausted. "Nightmare?"

"Not about my Dad though," I answered, looking back down.

"About your Mom?" He asked, and I nodded. "C'mere," he opened his arms, allowing me to lay against his chest. He started to play with my hair, waiting patiently for my breathing to go back to normal. "Do you want to talk about it now, or later?"

"Later, I don't want to keep thinking about it right now." I looked up at Jack, seeing him smile at me. 

"Okay. How about you come with me again today, and tomorrow, if you're feeling up to it, you can sell." I smiled a little, only making him smile bigger. "I'll take that as an 'okay,'" he teased, making me giggle. "I'm sure Race will be here any second, you stay put while I grab you some clothes. I don't want you usin' any energy when you don't have to."

"Fine," I joked, sitting up off of him. He stood and grabbed clothes for me, kindly giving me one of his shirts rather than my own. We got dressed quickly, and once we had finished he looked at me, chuckling. "What?" I said, confused.

"I just think it's so cute how big my clothes are on you," he walked back to me, sitting down.

"Oh shut up," I said, my face red. 

"You awake up there?" Race yelled from below, grabbing our attention.

"Yep, come on up!" Jack yelled back, and it wasn't long before Race reached the top. He usually always had a smile on his face, but today it was clear he was exhausted, seeming to not have slept at all. 

"Ready?" I nodded, putting my hand out. "Same as always." 

Thankfully, I made it farther today, helping me to feel better. I still felt a little upset about it, though, discouraged that it wasn't healing any faster. I looked up at Race, seeing him smiling weakly at me.

"You know, I think we can take that wrap off." I looked right to Jack, wondering what he thought.

"If you feel okay with it, then why not," he smiled at me, turning back to Race.

"How 'bout we leave it on until tonight?" Race then offered, and I nodded. "Sounds good. I'll meet you at the bottom of the ladder," Race took off and left, leaving Jack and I. He looked at me, looking worried rather than still looking happy.

"Are you sure that you're okay enough to come with me?" He asked, pushing my hair from my face.

"Mhm, I'll be fine." I could tell Jack wanted to push a little more, but instead he stood up and put his hand out for me to take. I did just that, and he gently lifted my head, kissing me.

"Tell me if you need anything, alright?" I nodded, smiling. 

Race tried his best to act okay on our way to the square, and while he might've convinced Romeo, it didn't work on Jack and I. We didn't push him to talk, though, knowing he'd want it to be far more private and would come to one of us when he was ready. Thankfully, Les's hyper attitude helped to distract Race, which in turn helped Jack and I worry less. 

"Mornin' Weasel!" Jack said, nagging Weisel as always.

"Hundred for Kelley," he took Jack's money, ignoring him. He then looked and smiled at me, and I did the same back. "Mornin' Crutchie."