Chapter 24 - Strike and Refuge

Criticism spot! :)

MUSICAL TIME! Instead of writing out scenes as I did in my previous story, I will cut it short, since I know none of us need a reminder of how the musical goes. At this point, it's the day of the strike. The "fight" WILL be described, as it isn't the same as the musical!!!

Crutchie's POV

I felt Jack start to fix my hair as the bell rang, and I looked up at him, smiling. He smiled back, but I could tell he was stressed. I closed my eyes, wanting to sleep some more, as I always did. He continued to play with my hair for a bit, and I began to drift off as I relaxed.

"We gotta get up," he said, and I opened my eyes again to look at him. 

"You nervous?" I asked, and he nodded.

"How could I not be," he joked, making both of us laugh a little. "You remember what to do if things go south, right?" 

"Yep. Run into the middle of everything and yell 'come and get me!'" I joked, and he laughed some more.

"Alright very funny, but seriously." I jokingly rolled my eyes, sighing.

"Yes, I know, go hide in the lodging house until you come and get me." 

"Good," he smiled some more, then sighing just as I had. "Let's get ready, then."

We got ready slower than we usually did, both of us dreading what could happen. As we started our walk to the square, Race and Romeo quickly joined us, smiling.

"Ready?" Romeo asked, breaking the silence.

"'Course I am." Jack said, trying to sound as confident as he could. To Romeo it might've worked, but to Race and I, it was clear he was scared. "Brooklyn won't be here, though."

"I talked to the other fellas, it's just us. They all want to know what Brooklyn will do, and won't help unless they join." Race broke the news, and I could feel Jack grow even more nervous.

"That's alright. We can do this on our own, and hopefully by tomorrow, they'll all join." Jack continued trying his best to seem sure of himself, but once again, it was clear to me that he was getting more nervous with each step we took. 

We reached the square eventually, Davey and Les both already waiting for us. It didn't take long for the rest of the fellas to show up, and we waited impatiently for the Delancey's to open the gate. As we waited, Jack turned to everyone, grabbing their attention.

"We ain't doin' this strike to cause trouble. We're here because they can't treat us like we're nothing!" Everyone agreed with Jack, and I couldn't help but smile as he spoke. "This strike will be completely peaceful, unless they swing first, got that?" Jack then turned back to face the gate, seeing that the Delancey's had finally arrived and were unlocking it.

"Huh, even brought the crip to the strike?" Oscar spat, but I refused to let it bother me. Jack ignored him, too, instead walking right past him and standing near the wagon. We all huddled around it, too, waiting to see what would happen next. 

"You kids are really goin' through with this strike?" Morris then chimed in, getting in Romeo's face. We stayed silent, watching closely and secretly hoping he'd swing so we could fight back. As if on cue, Morris did just that, punching Romeo right in the face.

"Get 'em!" Jack yelled, and the entire square grew chaotic. 

Weisel was trying to stop as many kids as he could from throwing papes, but was no match for the swarm of boys that were going after him. Davey surprised me as he joined that group, as I expected him to stand back. Jack and I ducked down as a stack of papes flew over our heads, and he looked at me, worried.