Thirty-Five.

It was Christmas time at Hogwarts, and one of my favorite things was to watch the Castle transform with decorations. The Weasley children, Harry, and their friend Hermione Granger are all staying back this year for Christmas. So naturally my kids begged me to let them stay behind with their friends.

My mum wasn't going to like that news, so I knew I'd have to get her a lavish gift to make up for it. There has been no sign of Sirius Black anywhere since he tried to break into Gryffindor Tower, which I was thankful for. He should stay far away from this school if he knew what was good for him.

On the day school finished before Christmas, some of the teachers and I went to The Three Broomsticks for a drink with Minister Fudge. The Pub's owner, Madam Rosmerta, was complaining about the Dementors that have been in Hogsmeade trying to track Sirius. And it started a conversation about him. So we had to explain why they were looking for him.

Somehow, the topic of Sirius breaking into Hogsmeade led into a conversation about how he ended up being the spy of the Order of the Phoenix after Rosmerta asked why exactly he had done so. Fudge told her what he did to Peter, how he killed him and had gotten many others killed. He explained that since Sirius had gotten James and Lily killed and why they had to go into hiding that he was coming after Harry. The thought of it made my stomach turn.

Hagrid roared when Fudge mentioned that he was the one that went to retrieve Harry after his parents were killed. He said Sirius was there and he comforted him because Sirius was so upset. He asked to take Harry, but Hagrid wouldn't let him because of Dumbledore's orders.

"How do you think that I feel?" I asked him. "I thought Sirius was my friend, but he was just a good actor. He was there for me when my father died, and when I lost all of my friends. We were there for each other when were lost the Mckinnons. The only good thing he ever did was he got me to talk to Remus my fifth year. Otherwise I don't think that I would have." Hagrid placed a large hand onto my shoulder. "He will never admit it, but Remus regrets all the years of friendship he gave Sirius, too."

"I'm terribly sorry for your losses, Ellie," said Rosmerta, "I can't imagine losing my father and then my husband like that. And you had those babies to take care of."

"Thank you," I said as I dabbed some tears back with a napkin. "I think I'm doing an okay job with my twins all things considered."

"You're doing wonderful, Ellie," said Hagrid, "They're just a joy to have around. Always have been, even when they were little anklebiters running around the castle."

"Thank you, Hagrid," I said as I smiled at him.

We didn't stay much longer after that. Fudge had to get back to the castle to have dinner with Dumbledore. I was in my office for the night, grading my students star charts of the night sky when there was a knock on the door. I waved my wand and opened it. It was Harry, and of course I was happy to see him. "Harry, darling, come on in."

He walked in slowly, and closed the door behind him. "I need to talk to you, Professor." He sounded like something was bothering him. He instantly had my full attention. "I need to tell you something but I don't want you to be angry with me about it."

"You know you can tell me about anything on your mind, Harry, dear. Sit and talk to me."

He sat in front of me at my desk, his face looked so nervous and scared. "I snuck put of the castle and went to Hogsmeade today."

He said that very quickly.

"I know it was dangerous," he added, quickly. "But I overheard you guys talking to Madam Rosmerta."

I nodded, "I see," I said, "Well I'm not angry at you, Harry, but I am disappointed in you. It's very dangerous out there right now. I know you have your father's cloak, but if something had happened to it you would have been exposed, and then who knows what would have happened to you.

"I know, and I'm sorry."

"Just think harder next time, okay?"

He nodded reassuringly. "I will, but I wanted to talk to you about what I overheard."

"You overheard us talking about Sirius and now you have some questions," I inferred.

"You knew Sirius Black? And you never told me anything?" He sounded very upset about this. It made sense. "I thought I did. I knew the person he pretended to be. Harry he's the reason my husband is dead, the reason my children have no father or any family from his side. He's also the reason that all of my friends that I went to school with are dead, too. He's vile and cruel and will stop at nothing to prove his loyalty to the Dark Lord."

"Including getting my parents killed," he added.

"Yes," I nodded, "No one was safe. If he hadn't gotten caught after he killed Peter, I'm sure I was next on his list."

"Hagrid said he is my Godfather," he said. He spoke like he was numb.

"Yes, as I remember James was very persistent that he be your Godfather."

Harry looked off to the side and then back at me. "I want him dead."

I tried to be as sympathetic as I could towards how he was feeling. "I understand, Harry. In fact sometimes I share those feelings with you. You're not the only person that Sirius Black took people from. Remember that. You're not alone in your feelings."

He nods like he understands now. "Promise me you won't go into Hogsmeade anymore, Harry. It's too dangerous for you."

"I won't," he assured me. "Thanks for not being angry with me."

"No problem, and I won't be as long as you don't do it again."

Harry smiled at that, and it was nice to see him smile. "One more thing: You also said something about Sirius getting you together with a guy named Remus, you don't mean Professor Lupin, do you?"

"Yes, dear, that's who I mean. Remus was also very close to who we thought Sirius was." I explained. Harry nodded.

He actually smiled then, "So you dated Professor Lupin."

"A long time ago, yes," I admit to him.

"Why don't you try to get back together with him?" He asked. "I've noticed how close you guys are as friends, you seem happier when you're around him."

I'm working on it, is what I wanted to say to him.

"Oh Harry. That's very sweet of you." I said and I smiled, "It's not that simple or that easy, Harry. There is a lot that you don't know. I wish it were that easy, but it's not. Remus and I hadn't seen each other for eleven years before he started working here. We've been rebuilding our friendship, and that's more than enough for now."

I was not about to tell him that I was sleeping with Remus again, he didn't need to know that. He was just a child after all.

"Well you should think about it. I've noticed the way you guys look at each other at the high table during meals."

"It's sweet of you to want us to be happy, Harry," I told him, "But like I said, we're just working on being friends for now."

He left my office after that, and then I went back to grading the star charts. I visited Remus the next day and I told him what Harry and I talked about. He thought it was sweet that he wanted us to be back together. I thought bringing it up would then turn into a conversation about us actually putting a label on our relationship and possibly getting back together but it didn't, instead he was very dismissive of it actually.

He changed the subject as quickly as he could. Asking me what I told Harry about Sirius. It seemed like he was avidly trying not to have a conversation about us and our relationship. I didn't press on with it, since he obviously didn't want to talk about it. When he was ready for that conversation we would have it.

On Christmas day, I found out that Harry had received a Firebolt broomstick to replace his damaged Nimbus 2000. He didn't want to give it up, but Lyanna had taken Hermione to come visit me. "Please Professor," she begged, "He doesn't know who sent it to him. What if it was a gift from Sirius Balck? Please, we have to at least make sure it's safe."

"You're right, Hermione," I told her, "We should inform Professor McGonagall. She will get Harry to hand over the broom."

I led the way to Minerva's office, and after we explained to her what was going on we headed to Gryffindor Tower to retrieve Harry's broomstick. He handed it over reluctantly with the promise that he would get it back if it's discovered that it hadn't been tampered with. He was angry with us now, but soon he would realize that it was for the best

_________________
Here's part 35!

They're almost done working together.

It makes me sad to think about that. Soon They're going to be apart again.

But I've got some plans for the next few years for them.

-Emily Winchester.