Thirty-Seven.

-Remus-

Hagrid had to go to London for a hearing for Buckbeak on April 20th, and he sadly lost. He was absolutely devastated. Ellie and I had dinner with him the night he got back to console him. It sadly didn't work. He cried the entire meal.

Harry somehow came into the possession of the Marauders Map, and Severus caught him walking around at night, and he snuck out to Hogsmeade with it and pelted Draco Malfoy with mud. He called me to retrieve it. I assured him it was a joke item from Zonko's, but that I would look at it anyway. I told Harry that I had no idea how he got the map, but that I was keeping it because it could not get into the hands of Sirius Black.

The Quidditch final was the Saturday after the Easter Holidays. Draco kept on Harry's tail the entire game, making sure he didn't miss the snitch. After a few fouls, and a penalty given to Gryffindor because Fred and George blasted a Bludger at Marcus Flint, Gryffindor ended up winning the game when Harry caught the Snitch before Draco could.

It was the dirtiest match that I’ve ever watched at school. The Slytherins were doing everything they could to trip up the Gryffindors. Cornering them in tight sports, trying to knock opposing team members off their brooms, Beaters using their clubs to try and hit the other players and then act like they thought that a person was a Bludger. It was awful to watch, honestly.

The Gryffindors rushed the pitch quickly as we could, and Harry was overtaken and lifted up by the crowd before I could reach him. It reminded me of when James and Matt would lift Ellie up like that when she won the cup for them. It brought back great memories.

June was at the Castle now. The Weasley twins were preparing for but stressing about taking their O.W.L. exams in the slightest bit, but Percy Weasley was going crazy about his N.E.W.T. exams. He was driving the entire Gryffindor tower insane. He was already a stick in the mud. Our third year final exams went by rather quickly, Hermione apparently failed her Transfiguration exam, and we spent about 30 whole minutes trying to calm her down before we took our Defense Against the Dark Arts exam.

Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge was here with someone from the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures to execute Buckbeak. I wanted to go be there with him but Dumbledore assured me he was going to be with him.

I started watching the map, because I like to keep an eye on Harry. This time he was with Hermione, Ron, Lyanna, and Bradley. They're usually always together. But then I saw something on the map that highly concerned me. Ron got pulled into the Whomping Willow, and then I saw the other kids enter the tree. I ran off after them as quickly as we could.

-Ellie-

When I went to join Remus for the Full Moon, I saw he wasn't in his office, but that he had left the Marauders Map open and out. I looked and searched until I found his name. I figured that I should search the Whomping Willow and see if he had gone to the Shrieking Shack tonight. "Mischief Managed," I whispered, tapping my wand to the paper and the map vanished.

I started running. I ran and I ran without thinking of where I was going. I made it to the Whomping Willow tree and entered the secret passageway. I met my old friends, Remus, Sirius, and they were dragging Peter behind them. It looked like Severus was behind them floating in the air with magic. I stopped in front of them. Ron was being held up by Sirius and Harry as they walked, my twins were traveling behind them with Hermione. Harry's wand was nearly blinding me.

"Ellie!" Sirius exclaimed upon seeing me. "You're here, too."

"Don't you Ellie me! You traitor!" I shouted, holding up my wand. "Get back from these kids!"

"Ellie don't," Remus said, "It's alright."

"Get. Back. From. These. Kids." I said through my teeth stepping towards Sirius.

"Ellie!" Peter exclaimed, "Please help me! They're working together! They're trying to kill me!"

"Eloise," said Remus, "Don't listen to him. He just doesn't want the truth to come out."

"Please, Professor!" Ron shouted, "Black is innocent!"

"Black is not innocent, Ron," I say. My tone was a bit harder than I wanted it to be, but I couldn't help it. "He's the reason my brother is dead, the reason your Uncles are dead, the reason my children have no father. He got his own girlfriend killed, Ron. And many, many others."

Ron kept his stance though, insisting on Black's innocence. "No, it was Pettigrew. He's been my rat this entire time in his Animagus form. Which is why he was able to get away, Harry wants to turn him to the Dementors."

His story actually made sense, but there was one thing that still didn't fit. "How did Pettigrew survive Sirius attacking him then?"

Remus was quick with the answer. "He cut off his finger and left it behind to frame Sirius. Sirius wasn't the spy, and he didn't kill anyone. He is innocent."

Tears were forming in my eyes. Clouding my vision a bit. I wiped them out of my eyes quickly. So Sirius was innocent. I always found it odd that Sirius would betray all of his closest friends that way. He would never be able to live with himself for getting Marlene killed. I shouldn't have been so quick to think that he had anything to do with that. He was so in love with her, and he was so heartbroken when they were ambushed. Of course he had nothing to do with it.

"Now, not that I don't love seeing you right now, Ellie, but if you don't mind," said Sirius, "If we're going to clear my name we need to keep moving." He and Peter pushed past me, Remus stayed back. He even let the kids and Severus go ahead of us.

"I know this is a lot to process, Ellie. I wanted to come get you but then I saw Sirius pull Ron into the tree on the map and I had to leave to help. Sirius was actually going to kill him and I couldn't let him do that in front of the kids."

"So, he's truly innocent," I said, my voice was very soft.

"Yes," he nods, "He and Peter switched places. James and Lily put their faith in the wrong person."

I tried so hard no to cry, I think Remus noticed this because he hugged me. I hugged him back. "Come on before Sirius kills Peter and Severus wakes up."

I pulled him into a quick kiss before we took off together. Peter had taken to begging the kids to help him. Sirius had a hold on him. "Ellie," he says quickly, "You were always so smart and so beautiful. I've always been in love with you. Please, have mercy! You don't want me to go to Azkaban."

"I want nothing more then for you to rot in that place, Wormtail." I hissed through my teeth.

That angered him. He began to shout at me. "I spared your life! He was counting on you going to that gathering, too, but I knew you wouldn't. But them," he shot darts with his eyes at my twins. "They were supposed to go with their father that day. Then you were supposed to be all mine."

"They were 16 months old, you psychopath! I didn't want you when we were in school, and what made you think I'd want you after I found out that you are responsible for getting nearly all of my friends killed? You're delusional, and you killed my husband."

"I did, and it was sweet," he gloated, "I got him first. He didn't even see it coming. Then I was going to win you over."

"You're insane if you think that I would ever want you, Peter."

"Because you were with him!" He pointed at Remus and then he said, "I should have killed you first!" He looked back at me again, "What do you even see in him?"

"Everything that I will never see in you, you coward. Even as a werewolf, Remus is 10 times that man you will ever be." I couldn't help it. I saw red and I kicked him. I kicked him so hard he buckled over in pain. "That's for my brother and my kids, that you left without a father! You despicable waste of a human!"

"Nice one, Ellie!" Sirius exclaimed.

Remus put his arms around me to restrain me, because he knew I would go after him again. He spun me around so I was no longer in view of Peter. "Bunny," he said softly as he stroked my hair. I looked up at him as he spoke again, "I understand you're experiencing a lot of emotions right now. So why don't you take Ron to the Hospital Wing and have Madam Pomfrey get you a tonic for your nerves, okay darling? I will take care of everything here I promise."

He kissed my temple before he let me go. He was being oddly affectionate in front of the kids, which he's been very careful all year not to do. I guess right now he just doesn't care.

"Bradley," I said, "Come help me with Ron, sweetie. Lyanna, you're coming too, I'm not leaving you here around this monster of a man." My kids didn't protest this. They knew not to test me right now. Which was smart on their part. "Hermione, dear, don't let Harry do anything stupid."

"I won't, Professor," she assured me.

I got Ron to the Hospital Wing, and I had to wake Madam Pomfrey. Then I had to retrieve Dumbledore, and he was still with the Minister. They interrogated Ron and my kids as Madam Pomfrey fixed Ron up. They told them what they told me, but unlike me, they didn't seem very convinced. Well, at least Fudge didn't. When Snape came back, it was with a passed out Harry and a barely conscious Sirius, and Hermione trudging along behind them. They laid Harry down, and I offered to hold Sirius in my office while we waited for the Dementors before Snape could do the same.

"Peter got away," Sirius explained as we walked. "He turned back into the rat that he is and took off while we were all distracted."

"What happened to Remus?"

He cleared his throat before he spoke again, "It's the full moon, so Moony is deep in the woods, Bunny."

"Don't call me that," I hiss through my teeth.

He chuckled to himself, "Oh right, only Remus can call you that."

"Exactly," I remind him. I hear him laugh.

"You two really haven't changed at all, have you?" He asked, his tone light, playful. Like how it always was when we were teens. "I heard him call you that outside of the Whomping Willow. He still knows you better than anyone. Tell me, are Moony and Bunny back together since you two have been working so close with each other again?"

"That's none of your business," I hissed again. I didn't know why I was being so cross with him. Habit I guess. He's been a murderer in my mind for the past 12 years now.

"So no," he chuckles then. "Just give him time, Ellie. He'll be yours again soon. You were made for each other. He's just too stubborn to admit that he deserves to be happy."

We reached my office then, and I closed the door behind us. Then I threw my arms around my best friend, hugging him with all my might. I felt his tense body loosen at the hug, and he melts into it, hugging me back.

"I've missed you, too, Ellie," he says, patting my back.

"I can't believe that I ever thought that it was you," I tell him through tears pouring out of my eyes.

"It's alright, Ellie, it's alright. Don't cry. You're not the only person who believes the story."

"Yes, but not everyone knew you like I did. You would never betray any of us. I just can't believe that I thought it was true for one second."

"The evidence against me was too strong, I don't blame you for believing it."

I stand back from him now, wiping my eyes dry. This made me much more emotional than I could have wanted to be right now, but I couldn't help it, but I also didn't want to spend any time I had with Sirius just crying.

"I have to go, someone will come check on us if I'm in here too long."

"Go be with your kids," he tells me, "They're awesome by the way. Bradley looks just like Matt, and Lyanna..." he trailed off, not wanting to say it.

"I know," I say, understanding. He didn't want to admit that my daughter looks just like her Aunt Marlene. It would be too much for him.

"I am so glad you're innocent," I tell him and we hug one more time before I leave. I headed back to the Hospital Wing and I stayed with my kids and Ron until about just before midnight when Dumbledore assured me that it was fine and to go to bed. I hated that he was showing me off, but I also trusted him. He said it was okay, so I knew it was okay.

The next morning I woke up to some terrible news. My heels clicked on the Hogwarts floor as I quickly made my way to Remus's office. I needed to see him one more time. Minerva had just told me he handed in his resignation, and as you can imagine I needed to see him once more before he left.

I entered through the classroom, and he was packing up his things getting ready to go. "Hello Eloise," he said once I walked through the door. He wasn't even looking at me, but one look at the Marauders Map open on the table told me he had been expecting visitors. "I've been expecting you," Continued Remus, as he closed one bag.

"You can't go," I say, my voice cracking a bit. I step forward. "We're just getting back to us, to how we were. You can't leave as we're just getting us back."

"By this time tomorrow the owls will start swooping in calling for my resignation, Ellie. As much as I would absolutely love to stay here, I can't thanks to our old pal Severus."

Tears are threatening my eyes. "Where will you go? Back out on the streets? Remus, you can't. I won't let you. Go to my house in Hogsmeade. You can stay with us for as long as you want to."

"I couldn't impose on you like that, Eloise," he says as he begins to pack up another bag.

"It's not an imposition, Remus. Bradley and Lyanna love you. They would love to have you there."

"But then we'd have to tell them about us. They've never had a father. I don't know if I'm ready for that."

"Well I am not letting you be homeless," I say, my tone hard, "where will you go?"

"I've got some savings from my year here. I will get a room somewhere, I promise you that I will not be on the streets."

"You let me know if that happens," I demand from him, "If you start to get low on money, or you need a place to stay. You let me know. I will do whatever I have to do to help you."

"There's your good heart that I love so much," he says, smiling. "You worry about me too much, Bunny. You always have."

"How can I not?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. "I can't believe that everyone thinks Severus and I saved the kids from Sirius Confunding them last night."

"That's the story Dumbledore wants everybody to tell," he says, as he continues to pack. Then he told me the story of what really happened. He found out this morning that Hermione and Harry used her Time Turner to go back a few hours and save both Sirius and Buckbeak the Hippogriff and Sirius and now they are both on the run together, living their lives in hiding.

I was nearly in tears right now. This entire time I've thought the worst of Sirius. I thought he had gotten my husband killed. I thought that he was the reason that Harry had no parents, and the reason my twins had no father. I thought he was the spy, spreading secrets to Voldemort. I had a feeling that he wasn’t the spy, and I was happy that I was right.   

I walked over to him, and I threw my arms around him, hugging him tightly. He hugged me back just as tight. Then I kissed him, and it was a long, passionate kiss. He reached his hand up to my face, and he cupped my chin, keeping my head in place while he slipped his tongue into my mouth.

It was then that we heard the sound of someone's throat being cleared and Remus and I let go of each other instantly and saw Harry Potter in the doorway. "Hello Harry," Remus greeted him like he hadn't just seen us making out.

"Hello Professor Lupin, Professor Greene."

"Hello Harry," I greeted him back. "Um, I believe that I need to have a word with Professor Snape. So, I'll leave you two to say goodbye to each other." I turned to look at Remus before I said, "You'll write when you can?"

"When I can, yes," he assures me, nodding. I hugged him quickly, said goodbye, and then I left Harry to say goodbye to his Professor.

I made my way down to the dungeons to Snape’s office. I was more and more furious as I got closer and closer. I burst through the door, charging up to his desk with all my might. "You dirty, dungeon dweller!" I exclaimed upon entering the room. "You are so pathetic! You can't let anyone be happy as long as you're not. It's just sad. Sirius Black is innocent, but you won't listen, because you're still holding onto a twenty-something year long grudge. It's so sad."

Snape stood up, and he stared at me like he thought I was going to suddenly become intimidated by him. What he doesn't know is that I have never been scared of him before and I'm not about to start now. He placed both his hands onto his desk so he could lean down to  look me in the eyes. "Sirius Black proved he was capable of murder at the age of Sixteen, I believe you remember what happened. You had become close with them that year."

"He played a very cruel joke on you, yes, but you were meddling in business you had no business meddling in. If you would have just left us alone, but you had to know."

"You're precious boyfriend would have killed me that night if Potter hadn't shown up. I could have turned you all in that night. I still could now. I saw Sirius in his form last night and I still could let them know."

"I registered myself with the Ministry," I said quickly, pointing a finger in his face. "You were always jealous of James, even before he started dating Lily. I understand that it hurts that she never had those feelings for you, but it's been almost twenty years. You need to move on."

"Move on? Like you have? Or are you and Remus not spending nights in each other's rooms? That man says your name and you're a mess. You think that I'm pathetic when you won't even tell your children that you're seeing someone."

"What I decide to tell my children about my love life is none of your business. If you don't remember, I was married. Matt and I were happily married for nearly a year before he was killed, and I assure you we'd still be together if he hadn't died. I'm lucky to have found love again after that tragedy. So don't you lecture me on moving on when you're pining over a dead woman who didn't want you when she was alive. Remus refuses to stay with me, so he is now probably going to end up homeless because of you, but as long as you're happy I guess."

I turned around and walked out of his office. I didn't care that I had mentioned Lily like that to him, he deserved it. I don't regret it at all. He deserved it after what he did to Remus. I wasn't going to sit back and act like he did some heroic thing when all he did was boost his own ego because he's holding onto something that happened nearly 20 years ago. He was pathetic.

____________________
Here's part 37!

So Sirius is innocent and Remus had to leave Hogwarts, but it's not the end for them.

I've got some plans for them, don't worry.

-Emily Winchester