Chapter 31 - Finding Out & Awkwardness

As soon as the words spilled out of his mouth, I was shocked to say the least.

"He's- he's coming back?" I managed to breath out.

Zayn sighed, massaging his jaw. "I know I shouldn't have told you this. I knew it would upset you."

"Why is he coming back? When?" I whispered.

"He didn't tell me any of that. All he said was that he was going to prove himself to you and that it would be sometime this month. I don't know why and I don't know how. That's all he said. He's coming back to school when the holidays are over."

I gasped. I wasn't ready for this, not at all. How would I handle seeing him? Me and Harry were fine living together and I was happy seeing Jake. What would happen to our relationship?

"Ellie, don't worry." Zayn came up to me and rubbed my back.

"I think we should tell the boys Zayn. They won't like the fact that we've been hiding something behind their backs." I sighed.

"Think about Harry. He would go ballistic if he found out that we were keeping this a secret and he would probably throttle Niall if he saw him again. I know you're not going to like this, but I believe Niall and I think we should give him a second chance."

"What?! Zayn, have you not remembered? He cheated on me and left!" I stood in front of him, my mouth agape.

"Look, I've known Niall for a long time, and believe me, I know when he's serious about something. He wants to prove something to you, Ellie. When he phoned me, he was crying. That's how much he cares. I know Niall and despite all his tattoos, piercings and how he's sometimes rude and cocky, he's got a heart of gold. He's soft hearted and he's genuine. I know that for a fact and you know that I wouldn't lie to you." He looked me straight I'm the eye.

"I don't know Zayn. If he's got something to prove to me, he can prove it to me. Until then, he'll always be a distant memory at the back of my mind."

Zayn sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "Let's just keep this between us two, yeah? About Niall coming back?"

I crossed my arms, feeling hopeless. There was something about the words that Zayn spoke when he was talking about Niall that made me believe him. "Okay. We'll keep this between us."

"What are you two doing here?"

I turned around to see Louis, walking towards us.

"Just breathing in the fresh air." Zayn spoke, glancing at me, hinting to go along with it.

"Yeah." I spoke.

"Well aren't you guys going to come in to play FIFA? I know you like it, Malik." He winked at Zayn, nudging him.

"I think I'll be alright mate. I need to-um-write in my diary." Zayn gave Louis a quick slap on the back, weakly smiling at him.

"Okaay...?" Louis raised his eyebrow before turning to face me.

"What about you, Ellie?"

"I think I'll be alright, Louis."

"Alrighty then." He turned around to walk back towards the house but stopped before turning to face us again. "Are you two okay? You look kinda... Shaken up. Has something happened?"

"I'm fine." I said awkwardly, faking a laugh.

"Yeah." Zayn laughed too, scratching the back of his head.

"Well okay...? Anyway, will one of you guys come with me to the supermarket? We're all starving and there's nothing in the fridge."

"Sorry mate, I promised Perrie that I would meet her at the park." Zayn spoke.