16

This world was crazy. This universe was crazy. And in the middle of it, there was a small, blue planet with the name, Earth. How fast everything can change. What people are capable of. The latest example was Dubai. Ninety-one was the city in the United Arab Emirates no more than a desert, where here and there times, a residential tower stood. A desert landscape where the building looked like a lonely cactus because there were hardly any. And what was today? An artificial island was built and the desert became a metropolis, with incredible building complexes and towers that were several hundred meters high. The world record with over eight hundred meters is the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, which was built six years.

"Your mood must have been down because of that," Brady heard Will say in a distant voice after quite a while, so she was slow to turn her head away from the window to face him, her mind being elsewhere, "When I was going to ask you when you got off work."

"It's been the entire day up to that point," Brady groaned, pushing herself straight up in the seat, because up to that point, she had been half lying in it, because it was more comfortable looking out the window, "First Mister Joyce's phone call; then, about an hour later, came the moment when I thought my uncle was dead; followed by me giving Mister Joyce my opinion in an extremely direct manner, which could have cost me my job, and last but not least, I get pulled over by a Decepticon playing with my patience. So, a wonderful day, and then, you showed up."

"Now I know you're one of those people who go from being in a good mood, to being in an extremely bad mood when something happens," and at first, shouldn't try to do anything about it, because you could only lose in that situation, and no one wants to do that, as Will now knew, "It's never easy to lose people especially when they've been with you for a long time."

"How would you know what it's like....," Brady replied bitingly but then closed her eyes and broke off, merely thinking about the fact that his parents were still alive and not a little further, "Shit..... um.... sorry, I didn't think about the fact that yes, you are a soldier. It's just.... I never expected this to be part of my job. In Chicago, I've witnessed people die and seen dead people or other things lying in the streets but this, again, was a whole different ballgame. How do you live with that? When I think that many family may never know if the brother, husband, friend or son will ever come back from war because no one knows what happened to him. How children must feel being told that dad won't be coming home. That uncertainty that the person might still be alive must be worse than knowing he's really dead. You're five when you're told dad won't be coming home, and ten years later, some man shows up at your door claiming to be your father. How do you react to that? How does the woman react who possibly, has a new boyfriend or husband? Ten years is a long time. And I'm lining myself up for eleven pathetic minutes. I'm sorry, really, I didn't mean to.... oh man...."

"A lot of people don't want a relationship because of that, let alone a family. This thought, what if, would break them. Some can't because what they've seen and experienced has so broken and no longer makes it possible not to live a normal life. Some come home where they destroy every clock because the ticking reminds them of a bomb. It can also happen that a man comes home and then leaves his wife and children because he doesn't want to accidentally kill them", in the last few years Will had witnessed quite a bit, not all of which was negative, because there were enough positive things to tell, "There are enough, however, who just, because of all this, want a relationship, a family or children. It makes them forget what was and ensures that they find their way back into a familiar everyday life. Every person is different and therefore processes it differently. You just have to remember, we chose it. This life and everything that comes with it. No exceptions."

Volunteers chosen, mind you. How does something like this happen? How does a person make the decision to become a soldier? Not just soldier, but join the Navy, the Marines, the police, the fire department, Homeland, the FBI or the CIA? First question that came to Brady's mind was, did they not like his life? A death wish could also be the reason if it weren't for the medical exam with the psychological test, but even that, one or the other could pass despite it.

In Brady's case it had been a little different, because James had gotten her the job. Which was good, because otherwise, she would be without a job, without an apartment and would have to deal with a lot of problems. However, she was not an agent. She wouldn't have wanted to be, yet, she would eventually become one. One thing she didn't quite see yet.

According to her feelings, Brady expected to fail certain tests dozens of times. What was demanded at sport, had already nothing more sport and usual, physical fitness to do, but went far beyond that. Then there were legal basics, where she did not have the greatest concerns to learn them, although it was a language in itself. Concern number two was simply the handling of weapons. Hard to believe but she had never held a gun before. And baseball bats didn't count as weapons.

"Thanks for bringing me back," a little relieved Brady got out, stopped at the open door where she put her left hand on the top ledge and looked up the facade of the CIA building, snorting, "Life is strange."

"It'll be fine," Will agreed, watching Brady as she looked from the facade, down the street, her mouth drawn from right to left, and across the roof, to him, "Your training."

"I think rather less," it wasn't that Brady was making herself out to be worse than she really was, because the fact was that this was most likely going to be, "You have certain previous experience to show if you want to get into the training program and it's amazing who gets weeded out. Then someone like me comes in, zero experience, in the areas you want and gets a spot. There question, who did she sleep with to get the spot, is not that farfetched. I'm not going to pass a single PE test, for example."

"Then we'll exercise together," probably not, Brady thought at Will's suggestion, tilting his head, "Tomorrow morning we'll go for a run."

"Before work? I still have to get through eight hours or more on high heels after that. So what are you dreaming about?" in parting Brady tapped his palm on the roof, "Go on vacation. Drive or fly to California. Why? Katy Perry has the answer. Make a wish."

Arriving at the front door and wrapping his fingers around the handle, Brady paused in position for a few seconds, looking in the direction from which she had just come. It's four and five moments in lives that really count. Who had said that one more time? Completely no matter.

─── ❖ ─⌖❖⌖─ ❖ ───

Before Will got into his car, because he had been standing there for a moment before, looking after Brady, she had come back, put one hand on the back of his neck, the other holding him to his open jacket, and started kissing him. It wasn't a fleeting kiss on the cheek or anything like that, but a real kiss. About that, there was nothing to misunderstand.

"Have we settled this now?" which was not a question Brady asked afterwards, but much more of a statement after she let go of him and with lips pressed together, backed up onto the sidewalk, "Now you can finally go find your Elizabeth Mister Turner and leave me alone."

"Nothing has been explained," Will called after the dark-haired woman, who exclusively raised her hand and turned to wave, "I'll see you around."

Come on. No one could plausibly tell him that Brady had only kissed him so Will would leave her alone from now on. Who was going to believe that, please?