19

No one had been particularly enthusiastic, which was not to say that the committee didn't understand it. Every single member understood it, saw the reason for such a need and why it had evolved in the direction it had, yet they would have preferred to have another option for this problem. Therefore, were concerns not expressed? Of course they weren't. None of them would have had a better suggestion. Why come up with something yourself when others are doing it or have already done it was reason number two. Let others get their hands dirty was number three. And the last point poses a choice. Who or what was the lesser evil?

"You're sure you don't want me to come with you?", Brady made sure one last time and stopped in the long, cold hallway as Attinger turned to her, "Our schedule looks pretty good, so it wouldn't be a problem."

"No, we waste enough time on him anyway, whether it's the Chief of Staff or not," translated it meant as much as, this man was not worth Attinger's time (in the least), "Where are you with the message?"

"The technicians are working on it. It doesn't look too good, though, because the device used to send the message is ancient. One of the technicians even assumes that it is analog. There are individual fragments that...." but Brady went quiet because out of the corner of her eye she saw a person approaching her and her boss, and raised a hand apologetically because she had to leave for a moment, ".... I'm sorry, I have to.... sorry."

Some people you didn't have to understand.... you didn't need to understand. And, if you did try, you ended up just as smart as before.

"What are you doing here?" it escaped Brady, who wasn't expecting a visitor, "I thought you...."

"Shut up for a second," Will said, putting his hands on his girlfriend's neck and thumbs on her cheeks and kissing her several times, "You'd think you'd be falling around my neck."

"Am I a cheerleader?" retorted Brady with his eyebrows drawn together because it was absurd, pushing aside single strands that were hanging in Will's face, "Everything good with you or....?"

"Yeah, it's all good. Just been a long flight honey," Before Brady got in any more trouble on his account because her boss was obviously waiting, Will put his arms around her neck and gave her a kiss on her right cheek goodbye, "I better go. I'd rather not get in trouble with him. I'll see you at home."

"Okay," gently Brady rubbed Will's arm and smiled goodbye at him before hurrying back to Attinger, which always looked wonderful in high heels and worked especially well, "There, sorry. Back to the message. I'm in the process of tracking down someone who knows a lot about the technology surrounding World War II. And, if you don't want to be late, they have to leave now."

It will be a wasted effort to make this message useful, Brady knew. From a crackle paired with a scratching sound, what was to be salvaged? If there had been something else, like a voice, where the crackling and scratching merely lay over it, it would have been something else, but so. Hours of work for nothing.

What was interesting, though, were those two notes that were there on the recording. More than two tones, said an analyst, because, looking closely at the frequency, there were high and low differences. There were five and probably more, at least that's what the analysts assumed, only there weren't more because of the rest of the sounds.

─⌖❖⌖─

Around seven Brady ended the thing, since it was an endeavor without end, wished the people a nice evening and sent the group, in the more than deserved closing time. It had been a waste of time, because nothing usable had been taken out. Not even something. The fact that there were five tones, brought no one anything and certainly no further.

On the way home, Brady stopped at a small restaurant, picked up several snacks and unlocked the apartment door at just before eight. Finally, closing time, peace and quiet. Just a little more food, a shower and sleep. Nothing more."

"If you're still hungry, I've got Thai here," Brady called after she closed the door behind her and not seeing Will, who didn't come into the living room for a few minutes, "What happened?"

"Nothing at all," which led directly to Brady giving Will a 'are you kidding me' look, "What's supposed to be going on?"

"You're standing here, according to this you're alive and not dead. Your reason, I'd rather not tell her so she doesn't worry, doesn't exist," even then and Will should have understood that by now, no matter how bad it was, Brady wanted to know than not know, "Can't or won't tell me what it was?"

"Things don't always go according to plan. We had some complications," not the kind of explanation Brady wanted to hear, nonetheless it was better than nothing but not five minutes later, Will pointed to the hall closet snapping at his food, "Your phone is ringing."

Obviously. Answering the phone was something Brady had to, rather should, do because, after all, it might be important. Whether it always was or not is simply a moot point and a matter of opinion. The call from Attinger was basically not important, but went in the direction, unexpected task. One, which it could reject, however never would make, because here a personal request came along.