one of three (prologue)

when sky began,
come crashing down on us
(2012)
part I

─── ❖ ─⌖❖⌖─ ❖ ───

It was one of those ordinary and normal days when there was nothing special or big going on. Not an important meeting or job interview, nor a date. Nothing like that. Like the day before it was supposed to be.

There was nothing more than a quick breakfast, because Brady hadn't loaded her phone before going to bed and the alarm clock didn't go off. In ten minutes the hotel where she spent the night would no longer offer breakfast and with a completely empty stomach, she didn't want to go to her mom's. Why she spent the night in a hotel, although she wanted to visit her mom and did not live there during that time, was quite simple. The longer she stayed with her, the more questions she would have to answer and there would be no end to this 'take an example - no person better than you is declared, please insert here' or 'at your age was -insomewhere, irrelevant state, please insert here' would sound like. She didn't feel like it. Not in the least. She would also have to listen to what happened to her old classmates or relatives she only confessed once or twice in her life or not at all. The only one of her relatives where she was happy to see him was her uncle. Everyone else. It doesn't matter.

But Brady didn't get very far, because there were police and fire brigade everywhere and they had set up barriers. Why or wherefore, had not been apparent. There was nothing on the news or the Internet about anything happening in Chicago. Anyway, the horror of getting nowhere.

Usually it didn't take half an hour to get to the station, but Brady needed more than one. And the closed roads were just a little thing, because when you arrived at the station, the information board already showed that trains were cancelled or delayed. So she had walked here for nothing, over an hour. All right. That's exactly how she had imagined her time here and her visit with her mom.

Then night came, though. That night. Suddenly there was noise in the hotel, screams could be heard from everywhere and outside, it got light all the time. Within seconds, Brady was on his feet, walking to the window and seeing one explosion after another. It was like the War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, except the attackers were not walking alien octopuses, but spaceships firing rockets.

In less than two minutes Brady had put on her clothes and slipped into her boots while walking. The shit was, where was she going? She wasn't safe in a hotel, and she wasn't safe on the streets. So basically, it didn't matter what she did. She could die anywhere. So it doesn't make any difference what she would do. The only difference was that it was cold outside and it might start raining. Stones coming from above might hit her, too. On the other hand, being buried alive wasn't so real either.In the end, it became the longest night of her life. Whoever claims after such a thing that the few minutes of waiting for a pregnancy test are hell, all these girls or women have to shut up from now on. Nobody dies because of it, loses his home or his existence. This test may bring changes, but it's not the end of the world.

The morning came. Of course it came, why wouldn't it? Finally Brady had stayed in the hotel, had sat down on her bed and wrapped herself in her blanket, from where she looked outside all night long. Either she dies in the hotel or out on the streets. There was no guarantee of that or any place where she was least likely not to die. This was one of those situations where you either die or you don't die. You have no control over it.