two of three (prologue)

when sky began,
come crashing down on us
(2012)
part II

─── ❖ ─⌖❖⌖─ ❖ ───

Before the new morning dawned, it was over and the flying alien ships disappeared little by little. This was also the moment when Brady gradually closed her eyes and since it had become quite quiet in the meantime, at least for what had happened in the last hours, it was not very difficult for her to simply fall asleep. Only in the afternoon, because there were more shots and explosions, she woke up.

The streets were now in chaos, whereas yesterday afternoon seemed like a harmless joke. It was more than bad. Just about every building that Brady passed by had some kind of damage; cars were on fire or lying on the roofs, and as for the streets, many, very many had to be cleared first.

A few years, decades ago, much sooner, when it was, Brady didn't know, which didn't really matter, anyway, Stephen Hawkings said something that made many people smile. "If aliens ever visit us, I think it will have similar consequences to the landing of Christopher Columbus in America, which didn't end very well for the Native Americans. That's one hundred percent correct. No one could have guessed that we were not alone in this incredibly large universe. Somehow, it would also be impossible, if this were not the case, if there were only the earth with its inhabitants.

Getting through the city resembled an obstacle course without the running, therefore, much more like Parkour. Everywhere there were stones or cars in the way, blocked the paths or where there used to be a road was now a hole.

It didn't take long before there was a huge quake, which made Brady stop immediately and look up to the sky. She couldn't see anything, but she could hear, but she couldn't make out where it came from. The way it felt and sounded, one of the big buildings was about to collapse, but she didn't want to commit to it.

"Pick up the phone.... come..... pick up the phone", while Brady was walking through the ruined streets towards the Chicago River to find out how badly the riverbanks were hit, she called her mother, but she didn't pick up, "Please, go..... Woah."

"Careful," a man with a rifle on his back replied, putting his hands on Brady's shoulder as she gave a startled 'God' and flinched after running into him, "Are you okay?

"Yes", nodded Brady, exhaled snortingly and needed a little moment to recover from the shock, "Everything g...."

"Brady?", a man from farther back in the group radioed in amazement, "What do...."

"Will?", Brady replied irritated, interrupted the dark-haired man as well and looked from the blond man in front of him, at him, "You.... okay....".

"Brady? Will?", another man, who pointed back and forth between the two, replied, "What's going on here? How do you know each other? Why, of all people, do you know the only woman we run into when we're trying to save the world?"

"Shouldn't it be called 'Saving the city'," Brady asked the dark-skinned man and looked at her phone immediately because it started to vibrate, but it was just a message from her uncle who asked if everything was okay because he knew she wanted to go see her mom, "I wish you good luck saving 'the world. Ah and Will, when it's over let me know how your parents are doing because my mom has been asking me to move ever since because she no longer has a phone number and..... I'll shut up."