31

Should Attinger see it as her resignation, but should her boss, Brady run across, he would be dead. One hundred percent.

Down on the yard arrived, Brady breathed first of all deeply and approached merely, with half narrowed eyes, the place where James must have landed. Falling from hundreds of feet into the depths and hitting the hard concrete floor was not likely to be a pretty sight.

It wasn't directly that her uncle had landed on the ground, but first on a roof that broke through and then on the ground.

When Brady saw her corpse, apart from what she had set out to do, she now began to cry for real and sat down on the ground next to him. At that moment, she didn't care about anything around her. Fuck the blood that was running from the back of James' head and pooling into a puddle.

"It's going to be okay," Brady whispered, putting a hand on her uncle's arm and closing her eyes, "We're going to get this."

Maybe not the shape Brady wanted, but she would get it done.

Next question. How did Brady get the body back to the States from James? Under no circumstances, would they leave him here in Hong Kong. No way. Whoever wanted to come, it wouldn't happen.

─⌖❖⌖─

The police, your friend and helper. Or, as in Brady's case, countless questions later, shortened with her CIA badge, she was on a plane to Chicago while her uncle, a few days later, would follow. Not only was James dead, but so was Attinger as well as Lockdown. Which, however, completely blew up in her face. Her own fault.

After twenty-seven hours in the air, Brady had her feet back on the ground and looked outside the airport, at her wrist where she wore her uncle's bracelets, and nodded knowingly.

It took half an hour to get to her apartment by cab, and on the ride there, Brady noticed that she was in possession of a phone. What kind of person, in this day and age, forgets that they own a phone? People sitting across from each other text rather than talk to each other. No wonder society was going under.

Missed calls had Brady in the double digits, sixty-three, and messages, in the triple digits with one hundred thirty-four. Oops? Or something.

"Oh my God," relieved Will walked up to Brady, pulling her tightly into his arms, however he took a step back as she didn't say anything or return his hug, "What happened? I tried to reach you but you didn't answer. Where were you?"

"China.", that's all Brady said, leaving Will standing in the hallway and walking to the bathroom where she closed door behind her.

Not now, not tomorrow, not the next day. Not at all. What happened in China stays in China.