Lunch Time Struggles

Ella POV

It was already lunch and I waited for Violet to finish class. She was one of the last to come out.

"Violet what's wrong?"

She started to burst into tears. We were awkwardly stood in the middle of the hallway and people were giving us weird looks so I patted her back awkwardly.

"Violet let's go somewhere with less crowd."

"Okay," she sniffed.

As we were about to walk outside it began to rain. Violet glared at me.

"What! It's not me. You know I can't control the weather. How many times do I have to tell you!"

"Then what exactly is your power?" Violet sniffed.

"This!" I checked to see if no one was watching and expanded my hands on a nearby empty cup. Water began to fill it. I picked it up and handed over to Violet.

"See! I can control the elements, not the actual weather," I emphasized.

"But it's a cup full of water."

"I could have poured water on you but I didn't because I am a nice friend."

That made Violet giggle and she was smiling again.

"Now tell me, what's up?"

"I bumped into Tony this morning."

I began to snap.

"Tony! Girl you better hold me down because when I see that boy imma do something bad!"

"Ella calm down, calm down."

Violet was restraining me from leaving. I finally relax and held myself together.

We entered the lunch hall full of loud teenagers. "Look there are two seats over there" I announced. Violet and I took them before a group of guys did.

"Hey, you must be freshman because that's our seat," one of the boys with a varsity jacket said.

"Really because I can't see your names on them" I snapped back. Violet nudged me as to say don't be stupid.

One of the boys approached me. "Feisty one aren't you. Now please move your excuse of a face."

Violet slouched deeper into her chair as the lunch hall went quiet. Someone in the hall shouted fight and everyone started chanting.

I saw that the boy was about to touch my bag so I decided it was time to teach him a lesson; no one touches my things unless I say so. I looked at my bag and snap my fingers. As the boy grabbed my bag he let out a high pitched scream.

"My hand!" he squealed.

Violet gave me another glare. "Ella what did you do?"

"Gave him a little burn that's all."

I picked up my bag and took out my lunch and sat there smiling.

"High school is going to be great," I chuckled.

"I think Dash might be having a better day than me," Violet sighed.

*** MIDDLESCHOOL

Dash POV

"Yes it's lunchtime, I'm so hungry," I said to Jess.

"After doing Icebreakers all morning, so am I" she replied. We made our way outside.

"Has it been raining?" I look confused.

"Look it's that boy from class sitting alone. Come on Dash." Jess grabbed my hand and pulled me outside. She sat down next to the boy who was fiddling with his brown hair. I copied her movements and sat down next to her.

"Hi. My name's Jess and this is Dash." She eyed the boy who did nothing but play with his hair.

Jess nudged me in the stomach.

"Ow," I grunted.

Jess ushered me to say something with her eyes.

"We were wondering if you would like to sit with us." Still nothing from him. "Come on let's go, it looks like he doesn't want us to join in," I said.

Jess got up off the bench but misplaced her step. She started falling backward.

"Dash!" she cried.

I was about to help but the boy beat me to it. He caught her hand and supported her head. I ran up to Jess. "Jess, you okay?"

"I am." She hugs me tight not letting go. Still clinging onto me she turned to the boy.

"Thank you. You saved my skull ... literally." The boy got up and approached us. "It's okay. I'm Brad by the way."

"Nice to meet you," Jess said letting go of me and shaking his hand. They were looking at each other for quite some time. I decided to break the tension and cough abruptly.

"Let's go inside it looks like it's going to rain again."

Jess didn't hear that and started talking to Brad so I just left them to it. Looking back over my shoulder, I could see that Jess was making a new best friend.