Jobless

Bob POV

I clenched my fist and took a deep breath as I closed my eyes. My focus was on one thing only. I brought my arm up to my face and cast my eyes on the bowling ball I was about to throw.

"Just throw the ball Bob!" Lucius said.

I had lost my focus and dropped my arm back down.

"Lucius never interrupt my concentration when I'm about to bowl the winning strike."

I turned back to the bowling lane. All 10 pins were standing tall and one successful bowl would allow me to overtake Lucius and win the game. All I needed was a strike.

I gripped the bowling ball tight as I flung it down the lane. It was perfectly angled so that it would curve and hit the middle pin.

Crash! all the pins went down and I had won the game.

"Take that loser," I said to Lucius.

"Fine you win," Lucius admitted.

After retrieving our shoes, Lucius and I sat by the bar and ordered our regular beverages.

"How are the girls?" I asked.

"They're fine man. Jess nearly ..." Lucius had stopped talking.

"What, Lucius come on you can tell me about your assignments, I'm not going to be annoyed."

Lucius gulped.

"Um well Jess got hurt when we went to rescue the mayor's daughter."

My eyes widened. The Mayor used to call for me specially when he needed help.

"Is she okay?" I said as I tried to compose myself.

"Yes, if SloMo .."

"SloMo that super in the purple with the white lightning bolt. You know his name now!" I said with my voiced raised.

"Bob keep your voice down people might hear us," Lucius whispered.

"What Frozone doesn't want to be seen with Mr. Incredible anymore is that it!"

"No Bob not at all."

I downed my drink and ordered another.

"Lucius let me tell you something. You use to be a nobody without me. So I suggest you remember which side you're on."

"Bob there are no sides. Slo Mo's family are just as keen to save the world just like us and you know what's great about it; we work together as a team. That's why the head of SHNC invited us to dinner yesterday."

I slammed my fists onto the table causing all the glasses at the bar to topple off and smash onto the floor. People stopped and stared at what I had done.

"Bob, what's wrong with you lately. Things might not be going your way at the moment but that doesn't mean it is the end of the world."

Lucius looked like he had enough and left without even saying goodbye.

***

I continued my strop at home. I slammed the front door causing the glass to nearly shatter. Helen rushed to me.

"Bob it's late. You're going to wake the kids!" she said.

"You'll never guess what I found out."

"What?"

"Lucius has only gone and had dinner with the head of SHNC!" I snapped.

Helen clutched her chest.

"Is that it! I thought something worse had happened."

"What do you mean is that it. He's, he's."

"He's what Bob. I think you're a bit restless from all this. Don't worry you will soon be fighting crime like you use to," Helen reassured me.

I couldn't take it anymore. I felt like I was about to explode.

"Helen I quit my job."

There was a long pause. I had quit my job for some time now but I didn't dare tell Helen about it; until now.

"Bob tell me this is a joke!"

"No Helen I quit my job!"

Helen walked towards me and slapped my face. I definitely deserved that.

"How dare you do that Bob. We need the money and you quit your job because for once nothing is going your way."

"Helen I can get us the money."

"How!"

"I don't  know."

"Exactly. Bob you have really changed and it's time you stop acting like a child and grow up!"

Helen left the room.