Foreigner

Sarah couldn't believe it.  She had struck out at every place she had walked into that was looking for help.  She stopped in front of a rather reflective window and stared at herself with her hands on her hips, re-examining her appearance again.  The light green dress she was wearing wasn't wrinkled, nor was it too tight or too loose.  Her hair she had pulled up to give herself a little more of a professional appearance.  She leaned a little closer and wondered if it wasn't her age.  Maybe they thought she was too old for some of the jobs she had walked into.  Granted, they would have been back breaking and foot throbbing positions, but she needed to bring in some money damn it all!  She scowled at herself then groaned.

That feeling of being watched rolled over her again and she sighed.  Not only am I too old.  Now I'm paranoid too.  She covered her face before turning to start down the street again.  She almost walked past it but a familiar cover caught her attention and she came to a stop outside a bookstore.  In the window... Make Out Tactics.  She could almost feel horns growing as a grin slowly stretched across her face before she ducked into the bookstore.

She immediately went around to where she had seen the book and grabbed one of each of the titles.  She HAD to know what was in those books.  She might be eating nothing but rice eventually but it would be a fair trade.  She should probably lose a little more weight any ways she thought as she glanced at her stomach.  It wasn't flat and never would be.  She had got down to the weight she had wanted after years of being overweight but the damage was done to her abdomen.  She had given up on losing that little pooch in the front.

The clerk looked up as she set the books down on the counter.  The woman was about her age and an amused expression crossed her features as she began to ring up the selections.  She was a pretty lady with short black hair and dark brown eyes.

"Will this be all for you today?" she asked politely.

"Yes, Ma'am," Sarah responded as she pulled her wallet out and looked at the funds she still had.

"Are you new to the village?"

"Very new, just got in last night," Sarah responded as she handed over the amount for the books.  "Can I ask you a question?" The clerk gave her a nod.  "I've been all over the village looking for a job but everyone takes one look at me and shoos me away.  Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?"

The clerk tilted her head to the side and her cheeks turned a little pink, "It's because you are obviously a foreigner."

Sarah stared at her, "What?"

"The people of the village, they are distrustful of outsiders because of all the things that have happened in our history," the clerk explained.

Sarah felt her shoulders slump, "Oh man... That's not something I can change."  She clutched the bag in her hand a little tighter and gave the woman a slight smile..  "Thank you for being honest with me."

She felt a bit defeated as she left the bookstore.  It wouldn't matter what she said, how she looked, or if she was a good worker.  Since she was a foreigner, no one was going to give her a chance.  She felt almost like crying in that moment.  "Miss, wait!"

Sarah turned around, surprised to hear the clerk calling out to her.  She stopped and then walked back to her. "Yes?"

"Come back inside, I want to talk to you about something," she said with a smile.

Sarah hesitated then followed her back into the establishment.  The woman went back around the counter before addressing her.  "I would like to offer you a job.  I'm not actually the clerk here, I'm the owner.  My clerk quit yesterday so I've been watching the counter.  I apologize for not saying something sooner... I am honestly no better than the others.  I'm Akari Ngyen."