32-Mother

*leahs pov*

"So that's it?" Jen asks as I pour a glass of wine. "You ask that like we're in some rom-com movie and this is the last time we're ever gonna see eachother-." I say since she is being kind of dramatic. All I did was tell her to do what she wants.

"Well I just expected for you to say more." She shrugs. I just look at her with a very unamused look and she raises one brow.

I really don't understand Jennifer right now. I mean if I said I didn't want her to go, then she probably would've had something to say about that too.

I'm not her mother, I'm not her bestfriend and I'm certainly not her girlfriend. I'm not in any place to beg her to stay. In all honesty, as I said, it's her life and her decisions. I know she's looking for some sentimental thing from me just to reassure her of our relationship. But I know where the line is, and I know when it's being crossed. So right now this is just me talking to Jennifer like we were in the beginning.

"Jennifer. What do you want me to say?" I ask and sip my wine. "I don't know. You just seem like you're not affected at all." She shrugs. "You're not leaving tomorrow are you? I'll save my tears for the day you leave." I shrug and look at her, just to see that look on her face.

"That's kind of harsh Lee." She says in a soft tone that hurts my heart everytime. "I'm sorry." I say with just a little bit of sincerity.

"It's funny how little the word 'sorry' actually does." She says.

This is hard. I'm used to Jennifer getting loud with attitude whenever a situation like this happens. But right now she's just genuinely hurt. And that's the only emotion she can show right now.

"Jennifer, if you wanna go, then go. Me telling you to go, and encouraging you, is me showing that I want you to be successful and do what's best for you and your future." I say and she looks away.

"All we're talking about is you studying abroad. This conversation is not leading to anything deeper about our relationship." I say and I can tell she wishes this conversation wasn't even happening.

"Of course if you do decide to leave, then I'll be sad. I promise you that I won't be unfazed. But this is just how things work in life." I shrug.

"You're growing as a person and I can't stop you just because of something we had." I say.

"We had?" She asks and I sigh since I didn't mean it like that. "I'm just talking about the past. You know I don't mean it like that." I say and she sighs, probably not wanting to get into it right now.

"I know. I know what you mean." She sighs in a sense of defeat. She looks away for a second and I just take a sip of my wine.

Once she looks back at me, I can see the tears. "Do you hate me?" She asks shakily. "My god. Why would I hate you-?" I ask, trying to sound a little more concerned. "I don't know. Just- things aren't the same." She says.

"We're fine. Ok? We're both just stressed that's all." I say and she looks at me hesitantly. "People go through this everyday. It wouldn't be normal if stuff like this wasn't happening." I say since I hate seeing her cry.

"We're fine?" She asks softly. "Yes." I nod in an assuring way. "Ok.." She sighs and wipes her tears. "I'm sorry." I say. "Don't be sorry." She shakes her head.

-

Jennifer left not too long after that conversation. And I'm just too tired and stressed to do anything else today. So I just go in my room and take a nap.

-

"What did she say?" Lupe asks me as I pour her some tea.

I saw her sitting on her front porch, and I thought I'd invite her inside to fill her in about Jennifer.

"She wasn't amused." I sigh and she looks down. "But she wasn't completely against talking to you. She just needs time, and for you to get it together." I say and she nods.

"If you really want your daughter back then you need to try. Show her who you can be." I tilt my head. "I know. I am." She says and sips her tea.

"Has she come over since you told her about me?" She asks. "Yeah she was over 3 days ago after Angelo came and got Sofia." I say.

"Oh.." She nods. "Why would she come over after Sofia left?" She asks and I look at her, realizing she's confused.

"Oh- sometimes she comes over not just for Sofia. Like if she needs help with some schoolwork, or if she's just bored at her apartment." I shrug and Lupe gives me this weird stare.

"Everything okay?" I ask. "It's just a little weird.. Does she not hang out with Sage anymore?" She asks. "She does, but it's hard because they both have classes on different days, so it's hard to get together." I shrug.

She stays quiet and I realize it's probably even more weird to her that I know all that. "I'm really loosing her." She says as her eyes get teary. "What- hey, it's okay." I say, trying to calm her since this came out of nowhere. "You're a better mother to her than I am..." She says as a tear falls down her cheek.