Chapter 12

"Taani, you ok?" Rithvik sat beside her who sat in the office lawn. She was devastated at her life turning exactly the way around back. She wiped her tears and nodded. He pulled her into a hug. She rested her head on his shoulder. They both sat in silence watching the crickets humming in the bush.

"Can we join lovebirds?" Wahi joined them along with Surbhi. Surbhi sat on the other side of Taani while Wahi kneeled in front of her. "Oh...shut up" Taani smiled irrespective of the pain deceased her. "Taani?" It was Rithvik who spoke. "You can tell us… you know that we wouldn't judge you" he was very impatient to know the actual truth which bothered her. "Don't you trust us, Taani?" Wahi held her hands. "I know about, Rey" surbhi surprised herself finally confessing what happened the day Taani asked for a towel while inside shower. Taani felt stupid for hiding things from them. Though she never told them anything about her past, they didn't question her at all. "Guys….I'm so sorry….that all this happened in front of you" she apologized. "What do you mean, Taani? If everything happened if we're not present, was it ok for you?" Surbhi enquired. "No….I mean no…" finding words were difficult for Taani. "It's just that I never thought it was necessary…. About my past n all…." She pleaded them to understand. "Taani" Rithvik placed a hand on her shoulder. "You don't need to explain us. I don't know what happened in your past. But we just want you to come out of it and not let anyone affect you" he pronounced. He earned a rare smile of hers at his words. "But I don't want to hide anything from you all anymore" she announced.

******

"Taani?" Swayam knocked on Taani's room which was located in the 5th floor. She hadn't yet recovered from previous day's taunts. To only see Swayam reminisced it more. Sharing all her sorrow of the past with her friends relieved her a bit. She could still remember the upset faces of her friends when she confessed the truth. They didn't speak a word until she finished. "I'm glad that you left them" surbhi had told her. "I can never imagine having such ruthless friends" Wahi had commented curses burning at the top of his tongue. Rithvik hadn't spoke anything at all. He looked very much disturbed. He had simply hugged her giving a small peck on her cheek and left. "I wanted to have a word with you" he requested. "Yes, Bhai. Please andar ayiye" she lowered her eyes pointing him to sit. "Kal ke baare Mei.…" He started. "Bhai no… if it's anything about yesterday, I don't want to talk" she begged. "Taani… jab se mein yaha Aya Hun.… We never got time to speak… I want to know whether you are ok" he empathized. "What does it matter, Bhai?" She laughed unsteadily. "I'm your brother, Taani. I want to know if something bothering you" he informed her. Taani had enough of all this.

"You must be kidding Bhai" she didn't raise her tone but it hit his nerves. "You never look after me as a brother in front of your so called friends… and you are telling me I'm your sister and you care for me.." Taani Failed to hide her abhorrence. "When they questioned me, you never opened your mouth, Bhai... That isn't caring for me…. That shows how much you love your friends over me… i can completely understand your love for them but being your sister i too would expect you to be for me and support me…" she yelled. "It was me always who made an effort to get peace with your friends so that it wouldn't endanger my relationship with you or Rey." She fisted her palms angrily. "I understood for several reasons you were not comfortable with boy subject…. But still I wonder you never realized my relationship with Shivam was fake till today" she sneered. "What?" Swayam was taken aback. "Look… that's the problem, Bhai. You never believed me because you always had second thoughts when it came to me" she pointed out. "Taani… I never knew…." He wanted to tell her. "See….Bhai...you never put any effort regarding me at all… it's always….you…Sharon...Rey and your friends...I was never there in the equation honestly" she menaced. "You weren't the brother I though you would be… you weren't the one with whom I had grown up… because you have so much changed. You valued your friends more than your family. I'm not saying it's a wrong thing to do. But trust me, you should have a balance between these things in life… or it will end up like us" she poked a finger in between. He never understood the depth of Taani's hurt. Coming from her, hearing through her words sliced him. He knew exactly the mistakes he had committed. "For God sake, now don't come on telling me that I was wrong yesterday… I would hate to tell you… but I'm done with all of this Bhai... I cannot pretend to be nice after everything. It's a matter of 5 more months… you guys please complete your assigned work and leave the place in peace… I promise I wouldn't poke my nose even if you people begged me… you would have probably cared for me if I was your own sister rather than just a cousin" she roared. "Taani…" Swayam understood no amount of his words can soothe her. Damage was done bluntly. And probably he had lost her patience with him for life time. He disliked everything he did to her. No amount of remorse really didn't make up to it. He had neglected her all along and now she was going to show him his place irrespective of the blood relationship they shared."Now please…before I could say get out, just leave….Bhai... " She turned her back to him.

******

As everyday, Rithvik came on time for the rehearsals and started quickly without interrupting the gang in his usual funny talks. He never realized someone who were so talented enough had such a big ego. N their ego had devastated someone's self confidence. He couldn't imagine Rey doing all things with Taani breaking her into pieces just because he wanted her to realize her ambitions. He loathed the mere thought of it. He couldn't fathom the idea subjugated to Taani. He disliked every one of them to the core. But he's a professional and he wouldn't affect his work because of the personal grudges. Gang practiced with no humor included for the evening.

"Mr. Dhanjani? Can I borrow these people for a moment" Mr.Sobti trotted into the hall keeping his omhands inside the pocket. "Yeah….sir" Rithvik nodded intrigued. "Rey? You were the one applied for work here right?" He asked. "Yes, sir." Rey stepped forward. "Is there any problem?" He asked. "You know I can just give a clean chit to you all at this very moment and you may never get job anywhere in this whole world…. Forget opening your academy" his tone was ice cold. His face contorted ferociously. "But what's wrong, sir?" Rey knew better than to argue with the most powerful buisness man of the era. "How dare you all to insult my employee…" his wrath had no face when looked upon them. "Do you think I'll let you waggle free after you insult her…" he enraged. Rey knew this would happen. Taani wasn't just a normal girl to take their digs on her anymore. He wished gang understood that. He had put all his life into this project and he could sense it breaking terribly in front of his eyes. He knew Taani didn't deserve whatever happened with her yesterday. Even he stood numb rather than justifying her. It infuriated him all more for being useless when it came to her.

"We are really sorry sir. I apologise on behalf of my friends" Sharon volunteered hoping to handle the issue. "What am I suppose to do with your sorry, ms.Raiprakash?" Mr.Sobti sneered gigantically. She lowered her head. "Sir, being a team leader, I take the complete responsibility of their actions. You can punish me." Rey hoped the peril would vanish. "Punishing you doesn't teach your friends to learn, mr.singhania. However, I wold let the decision to Taani whether you stay here or I should ban you all for voicing personal taunts on the manager of our company… you being professionals, you should have known to behave" he disapproved them. "Rithvik, call Taani and ask her to come here immediately" he passed the words to Rithvik. "I would never tolerate my employees getting any bad vibes… especially…not Taani… I wouldn't permit anyone who mis behaved with her especially…. Mind you…." He retorted the statement to each one in the hall.