Chapter 16

Taani paced around fidgeting with her fingers. "Calm down, Taani" Ritvik held her shoulders. "Calm down... How could I? And how could you be so calm...." She was aghast with Rithvik's parent's decision. "What's there to worry about?" Wahi chapped his lips sitting on the sofa. Surbhi and Taani glared him. They were at Rithvik's place, discussing about the bomb dropped by his parents. "Look, Taani. They just want to talk to your parents... That's all..." Wahi remembered. "Wahi..." Taani shrieked. "Probably... you didn't pay any heed... but they want to fix our engagement date" she fumed. "Moreover, Taani & Rithvik are just acting. They don't love each other..." Surbhi put in. Wahi cursed. Sometimes he needed to brainstorm her friend for good. Just because she entered into a loveless relationship with Mr. Sobti, she believed others shouldn't repeat the same. "Taani... You people just play along" Wahi suggested. "What do you mean?" Rithvik & Taani cried in unison. "I mean... Pretend as you are doing now. Make them understand you need little more time to get to know each other..." Wahi proposed. "Do you think, they could convince them?" Surbhi was inquisitive. Taani & Rithvik looked back and forth.

******

The evening lit the Sobti mansion with glittering lights. "I have invited Mr & Mrs. Dhanjani too" Surbhi extracted the words cautiously, placing a pan of curry on the dining table. "What?" Taani exclaimed dropping a fork on the ground which she was about to place in the cutlery bowl. "Sorry...I mean we were all in one place after a long time... So..." Surbhi pouted. Taani looked skeptical. "What's the menu, darlings?" Wahi joined them. "You guess" Surbhi pointed her hand towards the table. A flavoursome scent floated increasing Wahi's appetite. "I can smell something delicious" Rithvik barged in along with an old lady. "Meri bahu kana bana yi hai toh wo acha lagna hi hai..." the old lady accoladed. "Aap... bhul mat jao ki apki bahu ne mujhe jale hui roti banake di ti..., dadi" Barun trotted from the steps. Surbhi scowled. "Hi, sir" Taani, Wahi & Rithvik waved bursting out into a pit of giggles. "I wonder ki aap log meri friends ya unka..." Surbhi blazed. "Don't worry, Mrs. Sobti... I'm not going to turn them to my side" Barun winked. "And you three, we are not in office..." He gave them a hint, hoping they would avoid calling him sir. "Oh... tab usko nahi pata ta, Barun. Abhi usne sika hai... and tum mat bhul jana ki uska haat ka bina kana tumko aaj kal hazam nahi ho raha hai" Dadi took a jibe at him. Barun closed his mouth avoiding to look at Surbhi. Wahi, Rithvik and Taani chuckled.

******

"Kya soch rahe ho, Swayam?" Sharon took seat beside Swayam. He was sitting nearby pool dipping his legs in the water. "Kuch nahi" He smiled knowing she would worry. "Now, ye mat bolo ki mujhe meri boy-friend ke baare mein kuch nahi pata" She locked her hands in his. He smirked. "Taani ke baare mein soch rahe ho?" She leaned on his shoulder. "Tume kaise pata?" He wondered. "Kya Swayam... Mein tera har baat janti hun..." She snuggled closer. "You should stop worrying about Taani and start supporting her, Swayam" She leapt her head and looked into him. "Kahina kahi, we all are aware... ki humne Taani ko kabhi wo apnapan kabhi nahi diya hai" She stared straight ahead. "You know... Sometimes I wish ki... mein kabhi Rey ka plan mein shamil nahi hoti..." She peered him. "Tum akele nahi ho, Sharon. I wish I could have put little more effort... I always thought I was giving her space... Lekin mujhe nahi pata ta wo space mein samaj raha ta... wo carelessness banjayega... I should have stood with my sister when people mocked her, when gang taunted her, when Rey took a big decision for both. I should have stopped Rey knowing that the relationship was between both of them and not him alone. Koi... Rey ya koi bi... humare saath aise kare toh... kya mein maaf kar sakta hu... nahi" he laughed bitterly. "And Taani shayad wahi kar rahi hai... I should have been with her. That's probably every brother does. And I failed" His sour laughter echoed... "At least when she was happily moved on, when I knew the truth about vishesh, I didn't support her while our friends ridiculed her in front of me. That certifies me how selfish I am... I cared for my friends. That's true. But I do care for Taani..." he begged her to believe. "Swayam..." She held his chin. "Jo hogaya hai so hogaya... Hum abi un cheezon ko badal nahi sakte... But atleast we can make amends with her. You need to step up your shoes, Swayam." She argued. "Tume nahi pata, Sharon. She doesn't even want to see me or talk to me. She clearly told me that..." He cringed. "Usne boldiya aur tu manliya... Come on, Swayam. She's your sister and you have every god damn right to care for her. Give her some space but talk to her. I mean really talk to her even if it's boy issue. Try to be there for her and let her make all the decisions. Jitna hum sab tumhare liye important hai, mein janti hun ki wo bi tumhare liye utna hi important hai. Make her realize ki you really want your sister back and you would be the brother she wished." Sharon hoped it would work. The guilt of not understanding Taani's wishes and being a part of her misery clawed her. She for sure wanted to clear the animosity between them.