001

TWENTY MONTHS LATER.

april 16th, 2026
5:42 pm

SUNDAY'S FEET WERE POSITIVELY ACHING both from her heels and from the long day she had just endured

And the elevator in her building was broken once more.

She pulled her pinstriped pencil skirt down a little and managed to climb the stairs to her D.C apartment with curse words being muttered under her breath until she reached it on the eighth floor.

She had just gotten finished with her internship in the the Department of Justice for the day and was more than excited to relax and unwind.

As soon as Sunday reached the hall her apartment was held on, she could hear the bass from Monaleo's Beating Down Yo Block causing slight tremors and a smile on her face.

She opened the door to see her roommate and friend, Jeanette dancing to and rapping along to the song with Rafael, another close friend of theirs who lived in the same building.

The three had met in their first law class at Georgetown and vowed to stick together during law school, due to being the only people of color in the room at the time.

Sunday simply chuckled as she closed and locked the door, "Aye! Aye!"

Rafael turned the music down as Sunday sat down at the kitchen table and slipped off her heels, "Ahh. Thank God. The elevator's out of order again."

Rafael raised one eyebrow, "Really? You climbed eight floors?"

"Had to," Sunday shrugged off her blazer and put it on the back of her chair, "I can't wait to move. Jeanie, can I borrow your international law textbook?"

"Of course," Jeanette answered before taking a sip out of the wine glass in her hand, "You got mail."

She nodded at the stack of envelopes on the counter and Sunday walked over to them and began to look through them.

The white envelope was at the bottom of the pile and held Sunday's address in the middle.

Written in the corner was Kylah's name and address, causing Sunday's pulse to quicken and she flung the envelope away from her, narrowly missing Rafael's nose.

"Girl, what the fuck?" He shielded the bridge of his nose as he picked it up and read the sender, making his eyes widen, "Isn't this..?"

"Yes." Sunday replied, her tone still panicked.

"What is it?" Jeanette walked over to where Rafael was standing with the unopened envelope.

"Ooh, isn't Kylah-."

"My ex boyfriend's cousin? Yes." Sunday replied, lightly running a hand through her straightened hair.

"How did she get our address?" Jeanette asked.

"She visited me a month or so, picked me up and everything." Sunday explained as she plucked a cheap wine glass from the cabinet and poured some white wine into it.

"Can I open it?" Rafael asked.

"Sure." Sunday replied.

Rafael stuck one finger behind the taped lid and pulled, exposing a starry night themed wedding invitation, "Ooh. This girl has taste."

Jeanette snatched the invitation from Rafael and began to read, "'You are invited to the five year candle lighting of Terrence Clarke at the University of Kentucky football field. Guests are encouraged to bring others to celebrate his life.' Your alma mater?"

"Why are these always so formal?" Rafael asked.

"Don't know, don't care. I'm not going." Sunday answered in a breezy tone as she walked into her room.

Her friends followed her into her bedroom and Jeanette's eyes were narrowed, "Are you not going because of-."

"No," Sunday lied, "I just... I don't see the point of going. That's all."

Rafael pointed to a white board that hung by her mirror, "Remember the resolutions?"

Sunday sighed and turned to face the list of resolutions.

The first one on the list was, 'Don't be so afraid.'

"Ugh. You guys haven't kept to yours! I saw you," Sunday pointed to Jeanette, "With a large fry from McDonald's the other day, Miss-I-Won't-Eat-Junk-Food and I know for a fact that you've been talking to your ex." Sunday pointed to Rafael.

"Fries are good." Jeanette complained.

"And my ex has a big di-." Rafael shrugged before Sunday interrupted him with a laugh.

"Shut up, Raf'." Sunday shook her head, "I'm not afraid... I just... Me and him haven't spoken in awhile and it's gonna be awkward. I hate awkward."

Jeanette put the wine glass on Sunday's dresser and gripped her shoulders in order to force Sunday to look at her, "Look. You're going because a friend invited you and it would be rude not to go. If you see him, so what? What's the worst that could happen?"

"We'll go with you if it gets bad." Rafael added.

Sunday narrowed her eyes, "You guys just wanna see Sharife's friends again."

"Yes," Jeanette nodded unashamed, "Because they are all fine as fuck."

"You're not gonna give this up, huh?" Sunday asked.

"Nope! Stop being afraid." Rafael answered back at once.

Sunday rolled her eyes playfully before gently moving her friend's hands off of her, "Fine! Fine. But you are both coming with me."

"That's fine. Imma start packing now." Rafael flashed a devilish smile on his way out the door.

Jeanette followed him with her own smirk, closing the door and seconds later, the rap music was at its original volume.

Sunday began to thumb through the buttons of her shirt as she shook her head at her friends' antics, "Crazy asses."

Then she glanced at the invitation that was left on her duvet, picking it up a second later with a smile.

Maybe seeing Brandon again wouldn't be so bad as she thought.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!