000

august 11th, 2024
6:36 pm

BRANDON AND SUNDAY were parked outside of the Louisville International Airport.

"This trip went fast huh?" Sunday asked.

"Yeah." Brandon replied.

Sunday wouldn't stop tapping her fingers on the dashboard, causing him to gently grab her hand and lace his fingers through to stop her.

"Ma, what's wrong? You've been acting antsy since we got in the car." Brandon asked.

"Nothing." Sunday replied, starting to tap the dashboard with her free hand.

"It's not nothing. Spit it out."

Sunday shook her head adamantly.

He sighed before opening the glove compartment and pulling out a slightly crumpled piece of paper, "Does it have to do with this?"

Sunday's eyes widened at it, "How... How did you get that?"

"I saw it that first night after you fell asleep. Why didn't you tell me that you got off of Georgetown's waitlist for law school?" Brandon raised an eyebrow.

"Because I wasn't planning on accepting it." Sunday mumbled.

Brandon screwed his face up in confusion, "Why the fuck would you do that? This is your first choice. Why wouldn't you go to D.C?"

"Because you're in Houston. It was hard enough when I was here without you. Long distance and then even longer distance...." Sunday shook her head, "The University of Houston accepted me too."

Brandon shook his head, gazing out the window, "You're not going there."

"Yeah, I am. That's the plan, remember? I go to Houston, move in with you and happily ever after." Sunday folded in one knee on the passenger seat to face him.

"It was before I knew about this," Brandon lightly shook the acceptance letter, "This is Georgetown not some state school you have to settle for."

"It's not settling if it involves you." Sunday replied in a meek tone.

"Ma..." Brandon trailed off.

"I'm not going. I'm just not." Sunday said in a stubborn tone, "I'm going wherever you are. I don't care."

Brandon took in a deep sigh, lulling his head back on the driver's seat, "I'm not letting you do that, ma. I have my dream. You need to go and get yours."

But he could see from her position that Sunday wouldn't give this, wouldn't give him up so easily.

And at the next necessary action, Brandon could feel his heart break in two.

"No." She repeated.

"There's a 8:45 flight to D.C. Your dad and Noah flew there this morning to help you look at apartments." Brandon said, "I got the ticket sent to your email and your brother has some of your clothes in his suitcase."

"I'm not going. I don't know if you're going deaf or whatever but imma keep saying it until it sticks. I'm not going." Sunday snapped.

Brandon ignored her and simply spoke a little louder, "You're gonna accept and you're gonna be in D.C in the fall. You have to do this on your own. You have to gain this experience on your own."

At the word free, Sunday's face crumpled, "What? What? Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute."

"You're gonna get that law degree at your first choice and-." Brandon attempted to continue.

"Wait! Wait! Are you breaking up with me?" Sunday asked, the whites of her eyes already growing crimson from the weight of her tears.

"I'm setting you free. You can't come to Houston with me." Brandon repeated, his tone somber.

"I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe this is happening." Sunday whispered, "I'm not going anywhere, certainly not D.C, not without you."

"I can't go with you! What am I gonna do in D.C?"

"Then I'll go with you! We'll stick to the plan! I'll go to Houston and if you get traded, I'll go there too. God, I'll go wherever it is that you're going!" She was full on sobbing at this point making Brandon tear up as well.

"Do you think I want to do this? This fucking hurts." Brandon replied.

"Then don't! Don't do this, then. I don't want this and you don't either. I love you." Sunday managed to push out through tears.

"I love you too. That's why I'm doing this," Brandon's fingers tucked back some of her hair before sliding around her jawline to lift her chin, "I won't be the person that keeps you from the Supreme Court."

Sunday was crying, tears flowing down her face at high speed.

Brandon laced their hands together once more as he turned towards her, "You know what we're gonna do?"

Sunday looked up at him causing Brandon to continue, "We're gonna sit here and let go. I know that's hard for you because you're so logical and have a backup plan for everything but that's what needs to happen. We're both going to surrender and if this, us, if we're meant to be together then the universe will find a way. Okay? Can you surrender with me? Can you do that?"

Sunday sniffled a little bit but nodded, "God, I'm gonna miss you. You taught me how to receive love."

"You taught me how to give love," Brandon said before leaning in and giving her, possibly, would be their last kiss.

"It's almost time," Brandon muttered.

Sunday gazed at him one last time before sliding out of Brandon's rental car and closing the door behind her.

Brandon waited until Sunday was out of view and inside the airport until he was able to break down himself at the love he had just lost.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!