004

april 23rd, 2024
4:32 pm

BRANDON WAS STILL surprised at the fact that Sunday had agreed to this

The night before, he had dm'ed her on instagram, not sure that her number had changed, and asked for her to meet and talk.

Brandon leaned back a little in his chair, as he waited for Sunday to appear at their prearranged meeting spot, a Starbucks that was usually crowded and only ten minutes away from her childhood home.

He wanted...

No, Brandon needed to talk to her, if only to clear the air.

It was as if Brandon had manifested her appearance from his thoughts.

Sunday entered the premises in a white tank top, ripped denim jeans and a bright yellow cardigan covering it all and contrasting against her dark skin.

She had gotten her nose pierced, ditched her eyeglasses for contacts and there was a distinguished air about her that certainly wasn't there before.

Brandon coughed a little, then adjusted his shirt at the sight of her before standing to pull out the chair for her.

Sunday flashed him a half awkward smile, flipping her straightened hair as he sat back down and then folded his hands together, "How you have been?"

"Well, my second year of law school is about to end, I'm starting my internship at a law firm this summer and hopefully by next year I can assist a judg-."

Brandon smiled faintly, "That's all great and everything but I asked about you. Not your career. Like... Like are you dating anyone?"

"I'm not really looking." Sunday's response was hushed.

"I thought... The guy at the memorial." Brandon raised an eyebrow, remembering the latino man with glasses who had put his arm around her.

"Raf? No," Sunday snickered, "Rafael isn't attracted to women. He's a really good friend of mine. Him and Jeanette, the other girl with me, are my right and left hands."

Brandon's smile widened, "I glad you found your tribe. I was worried about that."

"How are you doing? How's your family?" Sunday asked.

"They're fine. Yours?" Brandon squinted his eyes a bit at the small talk but continued on, knowing that this is what would make Sunday most comfortable, "How's Noah."

"About to be a junior in high school. That boy grew up way too fast." Sunday shook her head.

Sunday was quiet, her nose scrunched the way it was when she felt uncomfortable, prompting Brandon to continue on with his next topic.

"So uh, about Kim..." Brandon started, "I didn't want you to meet her that way."

Sunday took in a sharp breath, "Yeah... That was... Um, wow. Yeah."

She forced a laugh that was a little loud, making the other patrons look at her and caused Brandon to grimace just a little, "I don't think I should've met her at all."

"She's pretty and she seems nice though." Sunday added as an afterthought in a lower volume, "I'm happy for you."

"Uh, yeah. I guess. Look I should've told you before you came down here that -." Brandon began.

"You don't need to..." Sunday shook her head, "You don't owe me an answer. We're not together. I was just surprised that's all. How did you meet?"

Brandon looked around, "Well she was a trainer for my team and we hit it off. Been dating for about a year or so."

"Only a year? And you're marrying her?" Her tone was extremely strained.

"I know that me doing this is a blindside for you but-."

"That you're engaged? That you're getting married? To say that you're blindsiding me is an understatement, B.J." Sunday said as she checked her phone for the time, "We should've met at a bar instead."

Brandon was a little pained at the panic and hurt hinting in her voice.

"I thought this would be something to say face to face but I can see that was a huge mistake," Brandon said, "I didn't want you to feel weird about it."

"I just..." Sunday took in another breath.

"You were the same guy who once swore to me that you wouldn't even think of popping the question unless you've been with the girl for over five years. We haven't even been broken up for a full two years and yet..."

Sunday spread her hands in a helpless manner, "Like... How could I not feel weird about it?"

Brandon paused, "I'm sorry. I didn't... I never wanted to-"

"I think I want a caramel macchiato," She interrupted and rose to her sandal covered feet, "Do you want something?"

"M-." He blew out a breath, "Sunny. Sunday. Can you sit down please?"

"Why? Why? So you can say something stupid like 'I never wanted to hurt you'? No thanks." Sunday muttered.

A musical ringtone emitted from her purse and Sunday answered with a slightly snappy, "What?"

"Noah, slow down. I can't-. Pops is what?!" Sunday mildly yelled into the lower half of her phone, "I'm on my way."

"What happened?" Brandon questioned, standing up himself and watching Sunday hang up.

Sunday ignored him as she made her way outside the coffee shop to the parking lot.

"Sunday!" Brandon bellowed as she opened the driver's side door to her car and causing her to turn around, "What happened?"

Sunday took a deep breathe, "My father's in the hospital."

Then she got into her car without another word and drove off into the late afternoon sun.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!