037

august 13th, 2026
12:08 pm

SUNDAY WAS LAYING DOWN on a black leather tattooing chaise, the buzz of other tattoo needles working nearby filling her eardrums

The left side of her ribcage was exposed and waiting for the tattoo artist to finally start the process.

Sitting on a chair only a foot away was Rafael who scrolling through a magazine. Every thirty seconds or so, he would scan the perimeter with his eyes and then look back down like he hadn't done so at all.

Sunday sighed, "Who are you looking for?"

Rafael fixed his gaze on her, "What?"

"You're acting weird," Sunday made eye contact with the tattoo artist as she closed the door to the room and approached and then Sunday peered back over to Rafael, "And sketchy and paranoid. Who are you looking for?"

"No one," Rafael replied and then mumbled a few words in Spanish to himself and flipped through his magazine.

"How big did you want this?" The tattoo artist held up two identical pictures of a hummingbird in mid flight, vibrantly colored by various watercolors.

"Um.." Sunday lazily lifted a hand to point to the one in the tattoo artist's right hand, "This one."

She nodded and put the spare one away.

The buzzing of a tattoo needle became louder due to the one in the room being turned on and Sunday sighed before readjusting herself in the chaise.

The tattoo artist touched the needle to Sunday's skin, causing the woman to squirm a tiny bit.

The pain felt like a consistent cat scratch over her bones but Sunday grit her teeth, closed her eyes and bore the feeling.

Sunday could hear Rafael rise to his feet and then walk to the door behind her, the sound of his shoes squishing against the tiled floor a better point to focus on than the pain.

"Hey Raf," Jeanette's voice rattled and echoed off of the wall prompting Sunday's eyes to pop open.

"I know you're kidding me. You have got to be freaking kidding me, Raf." Sunday spoke through her teeth, now gritted from anger instead of the pain of the tattoo, "I'm busy so why are you here?"

"I'm not. Bye," Jeanette replied.

Sunday rolled her eyes at the sound of Rafael trying to keep Jeanette from leaving the room as the tattoo artist moved the needle closer to her waist.