chapter twenty one: who did this?

I finally get home after that whole locker situation to Mia being mad at me. There is no reason for her to be mad at me, I mean sure, I did leave her with coach. But what was I supposed to do about that?

"If that were you, I never would have left you!" Mia sasses, then plops down on the sofa. She looks at me then looks away.

"I'm....sorry, okay?" 

She looks at me again, this time instead of anger in her eyes I see confusion. "Why do you have paint all over you? You look like you murdered someone."

I look down at my clothes and there is red paint all over my shoes and socks still. I never got the chance to clean them up. To answer Mia's question I throw her the note that was left in my locker. 

"Uh- what do you expect me to do with this piece of paper?" 

"Mia. Stop with the bullshit and just read it." 

"Fine." Mia reads the note, then looks back at me. "Damn, who wrote this to you?" She asks concerned.

"Since it has a 'C' at the bottom, I thought it might've been my old friend Clay, but it just doesn't add up. We haven't even talked since that dinner party my parents had." I explain to her.

Mia stands up and hands me the note back. "Well...what are you going to do about it? Do you think whoever this person is.... is going to send you more notes?"

I state the obvious, "probably. Well they told me to basically kill myself so I guess It's someone who doesn't like me."

She chuckles, "wow no shit. You're so smart."

I do a quick fake smile, "I know right."

 "Anyway. My ass hurts so I'm going to bed." I watch as Mia heads up the stairs.

I take this as an opportunity to think about who could've done this. I don't have any enemies I can think of? I thought everyone liked me. Hold on, I've had a realization! There was this one time where this girl on my soccer team pushed me over and told me I don't belong there! What was her name? What was her name!? C'mon think Anna!

I gasp out loud. Her name is Charlotte! Her name starts with a C, she is on my soccer team, and that explains how she got into the soccer locker room! It all adds up! I am just too smart for this world. 

While I'm in the shower, washing all of the paint off I begin to think about what I'm going to do at school tomorrow. I'm almost positive It's Charlotte, but I need to be 100% before I do something about it. So tomorrow I'll keep a close eye on her. But once I find out that It's her, and have proof, she will be the laughing stock of the whole school!

It's now almost lunch time at school where I can explain to all my friends to keep an eye on Charlotte. But right now I'm in biology class.

"Anna? Are you good? You seem tense..." Devyn touches my arm.

I look at him, "huh- oh." I look around and then whisper into his ear what happened yesterday in the locker room. 

He opens his mouth wide like he's about to say something but I cover his mouth with my hand before he gets the chance. 

"I think I who who did it though.. You know Charlotte? Charlotte Donovan the Asian one?" I ask him.

He nods his head, "I thought she was sweet! She always gives me the answers in geometry!"

I scoff, "so what, just because she gave you answers doesn't mean she didn't do this."