chapter twenty nine: suspension

"Your suspension is to take place immediately."

Shadows from the window flickered over Mr. Stonies face as he told me the details of my suspension.

"Yes sir. I understand."

I stay glued to my seat. Not knowing what the next move is.

"Please wait outside my office. Mike and I have some things to talk about."

The tone of his voice sounds serious, like a booming radio. I exit the office, and on my way out I give Mike a sympathetic look. I definitely don't want to know what's going to happen in there. Or do I? My seat of choice is the one closest to his office. Maybe I'll be in hearing range?

Honestly, I thought my punishments would be worse. A three day suspension is basically a vacation if you look at it a certain way, minus the schoolwork part. Just me and an empty house for 3 days. Maybe I'll get a dog?

"𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘦𝘭 𝘐 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥'𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘳 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦. 𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘣𝘦 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸!"

Right. It feels wrong to be ease-dropping, but I didn't even know it was possible for Mike to be scolded.

"𝘔𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘴. 𝘔𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘈𝘯𝘯𝘢  𝘴𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘰𝘳 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳."

Wait what? I don't know if I heard that correctly, but it better be the wall messing up the volume of the words.

"𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘭. 𝘐𝘧 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘤𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘰𝘯 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦."

Yeah, over my deathbed Mr. Stonie. I sighed. I was sick of waiting. My arms, and my butt, were starting to hurt. I drummed my fingers impatiently on the chair arm. I need Mike to come out of his office already.

"𝘐 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘴𝘪𝘳."

The rummaging coming from the office indicates that he should be coming out in a matter of seconds. Shit, I move over a couple seats to hide that I was listening in. Mike opens the office door with a solemn expression plastered all over his face. I feel horrible, I didn't mean to get him in trouble too.

"Call your parents and tell them to pick you up." He looks down at me, the solemn expression is still present on his face.

"Do you want me to call an empty house?" I ask.

Did he forget my parents are out of the country?

A moment of realization washes over him. "Right. One second."

I watch as he willingly walks himself back into the office. But seriously, I'm glad my parents aren't home and won't be anytime soon. Is it bad I'm looking forward to being suspended? Mike comes out of that dreaded office for the second time today. This time, his expression has lightened up.