Chapter Seven - Rides and Concessions

We walked in silence and approached Lucas' black Audi parked on the side of the street. He opened the back door and lifted Daniel in his arms easily before placing him inside the vehicle and closing the door. He folded up his wheelchair and stuffed it in the trunk.

He raised an eyebrow at me, "What are you looking for? An engraved invitation?"

"I'm just going to catch the bus from here." I stated motioning to the bus stop a few feet away.

"I'll just drop you off." He grumbled.

Daniel rolled down his window, "Emily, please! For the love of all that is holy, get in the car!"

I sighed, nodding my head and walking around the car to climb in next to Daniel.

"Hey, partner," he grinned at me.

I think Daniel might be certifiably insane. That's my opinion as a qualified nurse. I gave him an odd look. Lucas jogged around to the driver's side of the car.

"Lucas, might I begin by expressing my deepest sorrow at the calamity we seem to find ourselves in." Daniel began formally and I could hear Lucas sigh heavily from the front. "The good and honorable Emily had nothing to do with today. I told her I was going to see a friend-"

"-She believed that?" Lucas interrupted sarcastically.

"I'm a very sociable person." Daniel defended, "anyway, my point is, she had no idea that we were going to watch your fight and no idea that you banned me from attending, unjustly so if I might add. Though that's a discussion for another day."

"It's fine, Daniel," I whispered to him. I was grateful for the attempt, but I'd be fine. I didn't want him to worry about one job.

"It's not! This is stupid. You're being stupid," he pouted at Lucas and crossed his arms.

"Enough," Lucas reprimanded.

I gave quiet directions to my apartment until he pulled up to the shoddy location. I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened my door.

"This is where you live?" Daniel asked eyeing my apartment building as though it was haunted.

"Yes," I defended frowning at him.

"Lucas, you can't deprive her of a job after seeing where she lives."

"Oh lord," I sighed getting out of the car, "Bye, Daniel," I smiled at him, shutting the door quickly and making my way into my building without a glance back.

"You're coming back very late," Ms. Smith ambushed me at the entrance. Did this woman ever sleep?

I groaned loudly, "Why are you even awake at eleven o'clock at night?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, which strangely were poorly smudged with eyeshadow, "I had to check my mail." Her outfit was fancier than normal too, especially for so late at night. A long black dress draped over her petite figure.

"Sure, and I'm the princess of a Genovia!" I shouted as I stomped up the stairs.

I walked into my apartment to see some mail from my ex. I opened it and my eyes glanced over the lettering, "I miss you, I love you, I made a mistake, I want you back."