Chapter Eighteen - Stupors and Feelings

By the time we had finished dinner, cleaned up, and avoided playing charades with Daniel, it was past one in the morning. Miguel had dozed off on the sofa, hugging a pillow tightly to his cheek. He snored loudly while Daniel wheeled closer to tickle his nose, getting his hand slapped away multiple times by a groaning Miguel.

I yawned widely as I lounged on the opposite side of the couch, bringing my hand to cover my mouth, my eyes watering from exhaustion. "You want to head out?" Lucas inquired taking in my tired body.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'll just call a cab," I pulled out my phone and scrolled for the number of the cab company.

Lucas sprung from the couch and walked to the door, grabbing his keys, "I'll drop you off," he reassured me quietly.

I yawned again shaking my head at him, "You've had a long day. A cab will just take a few minutes." I didn't know how he was still standing. He must have been exhausted.

He gave a long look, "It'll take me a few minutes." His tone expressed finality.

I narrowed my eyes at him, partly because I knew he must be tired and partly because I was falling asleep at the moment, but I was too tired to argue.

"I call for an ice cream stop!" Daniel shouted, clearly already on enough of a sugar rush. I'd seen him sneak chocolate bars that he stashed in his wheelchair at least twice tonight.

"You're hyper enough," Lucas asserted as the teenager huffed in annoyance.

I stood up and walked to the door in a state of half stupor, walking back to the couch when I realized I had forgotten my phone and walking to the door again. Before I could make it to the door, I realized I had forgotten my purse next to my phone so I walked back to the couch for that as well. By the time I had made it back to the door, both Daniel and Lucas were looking at me with their eyebrows raised.

Daniel reached out slowly for my purse and phone, "I'd better hold onto these for you, I think."

I gave him a dry look, but followed the brothers out the door regardless. Lucas held the elevator doors open for us before pressing the ground floor button. We exited the the condo, my steps a little wobbly, but intact enough to make it home. At least I hoped.

Lucas walked up to the door and opened it for Daniel before he climbed in and threw his wheelchair next to him. He then opened the door for me and I hobbled in, almost missing my footing as I plopped myself in the passenger side in the most ungraceful way possible.

Lucas's gaze lingered on me, but before I could stop to wonder why, he leaned towards me and my body went into shock at the mere proximity of his beautiful face. His electric blue eyes were locked in on me on a way that made my heart beat into overdrive. I could smell the masculine scent that emanated from him and could see a soft brown tendril of hair tumble across his forehead. His hand reached out for me and I did absolutely nothing to stop it, sitting there with my eyes wide open. His hand missed my face and reached behind it before tugging my
seatbelt across my body and snapping it shut. He leaned back and I breathed out heavily as he closed the door gently. I was wide awake now.

"Maybe we should have left a note for Miguel," Daniel mused as he leaned back, pulling out a packet of sour patch kids.

I turned around in my seat, "Where do you hide them?" I asked in astonishment. It was starting to bother me as I'd actually put in time trying to look for his stash to no avail.

He smirked at me tossing a couple sour patch kids in his mouth, "You'll never know, Em."

"It's in the-" Lucas began before Danial cut him off.

"La la la la!" He sang at the top of his lungs. He really needed to sleep.

"Side com-" Lucas tried again as Daniel interrupted a second time.

"Emily, would you care to hear about the time I walked in on Lucas and a female friend 'cuddling'?" Daniel asked mischievously.

I wrinkled my nose at the thought of Lucas with some random girl, "I'd rather not," I replied.

Lucas gave his brother a disapproving look in the mirror, "Truce."

"Ha. No one can outsmart the mighty-" his boasting was cut off when he choked on a sour patch kid.

"Mighty..?" I trailed teasingly, turning to look at Lucas, "You have any idea what he's talking about?"

"Not a clue." He responded smiling.

Daniel contained to cough in the back seat, "Da-Dan-iel," he sputtered out.

We parked in front of my apartment building and I unbuckled my seatbelt turning around to see Daniel, "See you tomorrow."

"Bye, Em!" He pepped.

I opened my door and turned to say goodbye to Lucas to see him stepping out of his car as well. He shut the door behind him and walked over to me, "I'll walk you up," He expressed, walking along side me.

"Oh. Thanks." I uttered in surprise. He was walking so close to me that I could feel the heat from his body, his mouthwatering scent wafting over me.

"Are you going to bring Daniel by the gym for his first class tomorrow?" He inquired as he held the door to the lobby open for me.

I nodded taking the steps upstairs, "He's really excited."

He gave me a half smile, "I know."

"Thanks for dinner today. I hope it wasn't too much trouble that I stayed." I tucked my hair behind my ears when we reached my door, feeling nervous all of a sudden. He was an intimidating person to be around. His towering stature alone was a lot to be around, but that coupled with his tattoos, piercing blue eyes, and stark features made for a dangerous combination.

"Anytime, Emily." He assured me in a heartfelt way. When I glanced over at him his eyes were already on me. There was something pooling in them - unspoken words that I couldn't decipher. He looked away from me for a moment and I could see the conflict brewing behind behind the blue orbs when he turned back, "I'm sorry I didn't give you enough credit before. You've done a lot of Daniel and for me. It's been a long time since I've... seen Daniel so happy."

Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as he spoke, his deep voice stirring something unknown inside me. I smiled, "There's nothing to apologize for, Lucas. You're protective over Daniel, as you should be."

He smiled at me genuinely his blue eyes twinkling brightly, "I should let you go before Daniel pulls out another pack of candy."

I nodded, opening my door and turning around to wave at Lucas before he sprinted back down the steps.

As soon as I took my shoes off, I collapsed onto my bed and knocked out to thoughts of swirling tattooed, blue-eyed, buff men.