Chapter Twenty Eight - Stealthy Avoidance and Chocolate

The following week went by like a blur. If blurs comprised of never ending, boring loops where nothing changed and usual conversations seemed completely mundane. My routine was established and it centred around avoiding Lucas as much as possible. I would drop Daniel off at the gym and grab a coffee to wait for the hour that he was with Michael. I stuck to a strict time when it involved going to and coming from the condo.

Kyle arrived early on the day of Lucas's fight and bounded his way into the apartment giddily.

"Danny, my man. Fight three! You pumped?" Kyle walked over to Daniel to give him an affectionate clap on the back.

"I'm so excited! Do you think Lucas will let me walk in with him again?" Daniel asked excitedly.

"I think there's a pretty good chance," Kyle nodded. He glanced at me, "Hey, Em." He grinned.

I returned the gesture, "How's it going?"

"Oh you know, by day I calculate numbers. By night I undress women. I'm like Batman."

"Except not a billionaire and you don't actually do any good with your actions," Daniel scoffed.

Kyle smiled at the teenager, "Plenty of women feel good about my actions," he winked.

I walked over to Daniel and covered his ears, "Let's try for G-rated."

Daniel slapped my hands away playfully.

"Actually Kyle, if you're going tonight, do you think it'd be okay if I left Daniel with you? I wanted to get some stuff done around my apartment." Stuff like avoid a half naked, tattooed man. But more realistically, a pint of ice cream was calling my name.

"I'm fully capable of looking-"Daniel began.

Kyle interrupted with a shrug, "Sure."

"I don't need any-" Daniel started.

"-I really appreciate it, thanks." I butt in causing Daniel to blow a raspberry at us.

"Anything you need my help with? I hear I'm an absolute necessity in the bedroom. I have references," Kyle pretended to flick his hair back arrogantly.

"Gross," Daniel muttered and I laughed as he crinkled his nose in disgust.

I said my goodbyes to the two boys and headed back to my apartment, feigning as much excitement as I could about another night in. I walked into the lobby and ran into Ms. Smith.

"Oh! Sorry, didn't see you there," I murmured unsurely. The last time I had seen Ms. Smith was in her apartment with Mr. Greggs.

She grinned at me, "Emily! So glad I ran into you. I just happened to notice a package left out for you on my way down to check the mail," I fought the urge to roll my eyes, "and I just wanted to let you know that we're going to get rats if those packages remain on the floor."

I gaped at her, "I'm not the one ordering the packages, Ms. Smith."

"Well, these packages are addressed to you and are being sent to your apartment."

"Right. Thanks," I managed to spit out through gritted teeth before walking up the stairs, but I was almost sure I saw a small, mischievous smile play on her lips as I walked away from her.

"Don't forget that the more packages you receive, the more potential there is for burglars to think we have money!" She raised her voice as I continued to walk away from her.

"Got it, Ms. Smith!" I shouted back irritatedly.

"I'm just looking out for you!" She shouted back.