Chapter Eight - Ticking Time Bomb and Awkward Flirting

"Hey dad," I spoke into the receiver as I waited for my bus. I yawned widely. I didn't know how Lucas did late night fights and left the house so early in the morning to do who knows what the next day.

"Hey, kiddo," came the muffled reply. I was sure he was keeping the phone in place on his shoulder as he held onto armfuls of files. "How's work going?"

"Good," I replied stepping onto my bus as it approached. "Random question: do you have to replace pepper spray bottles?"

I heard a shuffle before his voice cut in clearer. Clearly I had caught his interest, "Of course you do. Didn't you get my texts about when to buy a new one?"

"Mmhm," I replied. My dad sent me multiple conspiracy theory texts a day so I was used to ignoring the majority of them. Was I aware that John F. Kennedy's assassination was a conspiracy? Did I know that there had been a UFO sighting in the small town next to my dad's? Sure, the guy who spotted the green alien happened to be drunk at the time, but he could still describe the creature when sober.

"Why are you asking?" He asked in concern.

"I just didn't realize that they oozed a liquidy substance when expired," I joked lightheartedly.

"Emily Johnson, what on earth did you use your pepper spray on? I knew this day would come. The moment I put my guard down and think 'oh, maybe the apartment isn't so bad; maybe the area isn't so sketchy,' this comes to bite me in the ass." My dad rambled as he did when he was freaked out.

"Dad, relax. It was nothing. I just happened to hit the nozzle accidentally because I take it around with me so religiously," I tried not to let sarcasm seep into my voice.

"I swear to you, if I find out something happened and you didn't tell me, I'll camp outside of your apartment for the rest of your life," he exclaimed. I knew he was kidding. Sort of.

"Jeez, you're teetering on creepy there, dad."

"I'll mail you a new pepper spray," he confirmed.

"Thank you," I replied. I was lucky to have him looking out for me. I knew everything hit closer to home for him because of my mom. Her death played a large role on his protective nature.

The bus stopped and I hopped off, "Love you."

"Love you too, kiddo," he responded.

I trekked the rest of my way over into the condo complex, entering the luxurious building and relishing in the heat for a moment.

I knocked on Daniel's door and the door flew open to a grinning teen.

"Emily," he stated staring at me.

I raised an eyebrow, "Daniel?"

"Please, come in," he stated formally.

I laughed before walking inside and taking my jacket off, "What's going on?"

"I wanted to formally apologize to you, mostly because I want to and partly because Lucas told me I had to," he looked at me innocently.

"It's fine, Daniel," I grinned at him walking into the living room, "But, now that I have you on the ropes," I trailed as I opened my bag and pulled out a notebook handing it over to him taking a seat on the couch nearest to where he was.

"What is this?" He asked suspiciously.

I rolled my eyes, "Just open it."

He lifted it carefully as though it was a ticking time bomb and opened the first page, "My goals," he read slowly before looking at in utter confusion.