Chapter Thirty Nine - New Years Dinners and Past Sinners

We stood outside a small home, Christmas lights still hanging from the eavesdrops and the trees that littered the yard. Daniel raced to the front door, knocking enthusiastically.

Lucas linked his large fingers with my own, his hand encapsulating mine in the process. "You okay?"

I nodded, not fully trusting my voice at the moment. I took in a deep breath, the cold air puffing out like smoke as I exhaled, "I'm good."

Miguel opened the door with a wide grin, "Happy New Year!"

"Hey!" Daniel responded practically pushing past him while shouting, "Mateo! Your favourite uncle's here!"

"Happy New Year, man," Lucas pulled Miguel into a one armed hug and with his fingers still clutching mine, tugged me inside the warm house with him.

"Hey Miguel," I said softly taking in the cozy home before me. It was decorated from top to bottom with Christmas decor and it almost felt like I was walking into a Hallmark movie home. The rich reds and golds were scattered about the house in the form of twinkle lights, garlands, paper star cut outs, and wreaths. You could feel the love of a happy home.

"Emily," Miguel's eyes darted to our enmeshed hands and he grinned even wider if that was possible. "I'm so glad you came. Maria's going to be thrilled. So," Miguel trailed, glancing down again, "Are you guys official finally?"

My cheeks flared up and Lucas rolled his eyes, "Maria?" He called loudly as Miguel guffawed.

A familiar curly haired woman with green eyes poked her head out of the kitchen. Lucas tugged me towards the kitchen where Maria stood. "Lucas! Emily! I'm so glad you two are here."

Lucas smiled at her and walked into the kitchen while Maria pulled me in to a tight embrace. "It's so nice to finally meet you!"

"You too," I stated shyly at the friendly woman before me. Lucas was making his way out of the kitchen but cocked his head to the side as he looked at me as if to ask are you okay? I nodded my head before he ducked out.

"I can't tell you how happy I am that Lucas has finally found someone permanent." She walked into the kitchen and I followed her lead, the smell of food becoming more potent. I tried not to think that she meant that Lucas had a lot of temporary flings. I knew he must have, he was so unbelievably handsome and kind. Anyone would have been lucky to be with him. But a small part of me wondered if he had brought them to a gathering like this one.

The kitchen was overflowing with dishes ranging from turkey, mashed potatoes, salads, chicken pot pies, and more dishes that I couldn't even name. "Wow. This all looks amazing, Maria."

"Thanks, Emily!" Maria wore a Santa Claus apron over her red sweater and black jeans. Her curly hair tucked into a neat bun. She was stunning. She was currently stirring something on the stovetop. Gravy maybe? I couldn't be sure. "Kyle!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. A moment later, Kyle came running into the kitchen in a panic.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly as he slipped a green mistletoe apron back on.

"I turn around for one minute and you're already out of the kitchen? When we make a deal, you follow through."

Kyle whined before spotting me, "Hey, Em!" He walked beside Maria and she handed him the whisk for the gravy as she moved away to chop something at the counter.

"Hey," I smiled at Kyle. His back was towards the stove at this point while he continued to whisk. "How's it going?" He asked as parts of the gravy overflowed, slopping onto the stovetop, bubbling and burning as it did so. "Oops," he chuckled nervously glancing to see if Maria had caught him.