Chapter Thirty Seven - Assaults and Make Outs

"Emily!" Daniel grinned so widely at me that I was sure his cheeks were in pain. He wheeled over to me and I wrapped my arms around him. "You've come back to us finally!"

"I missed you!" I exclaimed as I pulled back from him.

"Me too," Daniel leaned in closer to me, "Never leave me with Kyle again."

I laughed, a little sad that I'd missed seeing Kyle and Daniel together. They were exactly like two younger brothers and even more fun for me when I was off duty.

"What are you up to today?" I asked as Lucas, Daniel, and I walked to the car from the train station they had picked me up from.

"Actually, you get the evening off again because I'm hanging out with Rebecca all day today. We're going to the zoo!"

"That sounds fun!" I peaked at Lucas to see him opening the trunk and tossing the suitcase he'd taken from my hands inside. He threw in Daniel's wheelchair after he had gotten into the car. All of this was accomplished while strategically avoiding eye contact with me.

I stepped into the passenger's side, "Is Kyle going with you?" I asked Daniel, twisting around so I could see his face.

His nose scrunched up in distaste, "No way. I'm sick of him. It'll just be Rebecca and I today. We're taking the bus."

"Well, I think that's amazing," I murmured as I turned back ahead.

I glanced at Lucas to see him staring intently ahead of him, his one hand on the steering wheel clutched tightly. "What are you up to tonight, Lucas?" My tone was light and bordering on teasing.

His eyes darted to mine quickly before returning to the road, "Probably the gym," He responded gruffly.

Daniel snorted, "Someone needs a life."

"Where's your off button?" Lucas snapped.

"I've yet to find it," Daniel boasted proudly.

Lucas drove us to the bus stop where we dropped Daniel off and he waved us off.

I raised an eyebrow at Lucas curiously, "You're very quiet."

He turned to me smiling softly, "I was trying to play it cool. I didn't know I had a professional poker player next to me."

"Psh," I scoffed, "Try world class."

He took my hand in his and brought it up to his lips to place a gentle kiss at the back of it, "I missed you."

"I missed you, too." I grinned wildly, my heart hammering over such a simple comment.

"Do you want coffee?"

"Yes, please!"

We drove to a nearby restaurant and I took in the elaborate theme as we entered - large bookshelves coated the walls with plush brown leather chairs scattered across the floor, the round tables each holding a verse of poetry.

"Welcome to The Mud Slide! Table for two?" A friendly girl greeted us at the entrance.

Lucas merely nodded and we were escorted to a booth. I sat down first and Lucas sat next to me, accepting the menus.

We ordered coffees and slices of pie with ice cream and I waited patiently, my mouth practically salivating at the thought. "What do you think about Daniel going out on his own?"

Lucas shrugged, "A certain nurse has been hassling me to let my brother be more independent, so that's what I'm trying to do."

I grinned at the words of encouragement, "She sounds so knowledgeable. I'd keep her around if I were you." Lucas shot me a dry look.

Our coffees and pies were placed on the circular table and I wasted no time in chugging my coffee and filling my mouth with the delicate pastry in front of me.

"Emily?" A voice questioned from next to me. My head shot up in shock and there stood my ex. My cheating ex who won't stop leaving unwanted packages at my doorstep. And here I was with my mouth stuffed with pie. I swallowed my indelicately large bite. "It is you! How have you been?" He laughed. His black hair was gelled upwards and he wore an oversized hoodie.

Lucas's face seemed irritated by the intrusion but he made no comment. I gave him an apologetic look, "This my ex, Tony."

"Whoa whoa, ex is a tad harsh," Tony defended himself with a chuckle.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "I'm sorry, would you prefer Tony the unemployed lowlife who cheated on me with a fitness instructor while illegally using my membership?" Lucas watched my face, a deep frown settled into his features.

"Come on, Emily! We had fun together. It was just something I needed to get out of my system and now it's out," he laughed, "Guys need that sometimes."

"Guys... need," my mouth was gaping and I couldn't find the words I needed to respond. I was sure I looked like a moron.

"I think you should leave," Lucas stated firmly, standing up and wedging himself in between Tony and I. He was giving Tony a blank stare and I forgot how menacing Lucas could look when he wanted to. I was so used to his kind and caring personality that I didn't see that side of him anymore.

Tony put his hands up in defeat, "Got yourself a body guard now?"

Lucas crossed his arms in a terrifyingly calm way, "Out. Now." He spat.

Tony looked absolutely terrified but I knew his ego was going to take one more swing before he gave up. "Fine. You can have her. She barely puts out anyway and when she does it isn't worth the hassle."

A fist came across Tony's face and he fell to the ground. I stared at his body in a fetal position before the pain registered. "Ow! Shit, that hurts!" I cradled my hand to my chest.

Lucas turned to look at me in utter surprise before he let out a chuckle, "Never mind, we're leaving." He bent down to pick me up, fireman style and I giggled at the gesture, wrapping my good arm around his neck.

"I've never hit anyone before!" I exclaimed as we exited the restaurant, still unable to move my fingers fully.

"I've been a bad influence on you," Lucas stated with pride in his tone.

He drove me back to his condo, Lucas placing me on his couch before going to his freezer to retrieve an ice pack. He carefully laid it over my hand keeping my palm in his large hand, the other holding the ice pack against my fingers firmly.

"I can't believe I punched him." Now that the adrenaline was wearing off, I was beginning to realize that I just assaulted someone in a public space.

"I was going to if you didn't. What a tool." Lucas said softly, his eyes dancing. He pulled the ice pack back for a moment and ran his thumb over my knuckles gently. "You've got good form, I'll give you that."

"It's nothing. I had a good teacher."

"How's your hand?" He inquired gently moving my fingers about.

"Better," I whispered as I leaned forward and brought Lucas's face down to mine. His lips moved fervently against my own and his fingers tangled in my hair. Lucas's tongue grazed my lips and they parted for his tongue to caress my own.

His hands slowly trailed down my shoulders to my waist before his fingers rested under my shirt. His warm calloused fingers pressing against my bare sides brought knots to my stomach.

I heard a creak in the living room before the shriek that parted Lucas and I like the Red Sea. "Is that your brother and sister making out?!"