Bonus Chapter 2

One year later

Lucas

"Bro, why do you look so nervous?" Kyle asked as he lounged on the chaise in the corner. He was wearing a dress shirt that was half buttoned up and, unfortunately for all of us, no pants.

"What the hell kind of question is that?" I raised an eyebrow as I fumbled with the buttons of my black vest. "Have you forgotten what day it is?"

Kyle shot me a dry look as he took a sip of his beer his legs hanging off the edge of the chair, "Obviously not. I just mean, you've met your soulmate. You're getting married. You should be pumped!"

It was true that I'd waited for this day for a long time. The moment I met Emily, a part of me knew that she was going to change my life. Did I have any clue that I'd end up marrying the hot nurse that applied to be Danny's caregiver - no way in hell.

But here I was, counting every lucky star in existence that she was still with me. She was a blessing when she walked in that day and she's been a blessing everyday since. My own guardian angel from day one.

"I am pumped, you moron. Just... jittery." That was an understatement. My entire body was filled with butterflies. I couldn't wait to be married to this amazing woman.

"Would you put some pants on?" Miguel complained as he unraveled his tie in the mirror for the thirtieth time.

"Why?" Kyle asked, grinning, "Am I turning you on?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

The door swung open and in walked Daniel, leaning on one crutch. "Okay, you can all relax. I found the cuff links!" He exclaimed holding the pair up in the air in triumph.

"Lucas can't relax. He feels jittery," Kyle laughed, slapping his knee.

"Is it due to your lack of pants? Because we might have bigger problems if that's the case," Daniel stated. I rolled my eyes at the two of them while accepting the cuff links from Daniel. I was still getting used to not having to look down to see his face, or bend down to hug him.

He had made serious steps in recovery over the past year and if he continued on this trajectory, would likely be able to walk without a crutch in the near future.

I thought back to Daniel's recovery process. It hadn't been an easy road to recovery. There were so many ups and downs.

Daniel walked while holding railings on either side of his body with both hands, his legs shaky with determination. He put one foot slowly in front of the other before looking up at Emily, "Em, I'm walking!" He grinned before his legs buckled and he fell to the floor. Emily was standing closest to him and grabbed him from under his arms to brace his fall before attempting to pick him back up.

"It's no use," Daniel said quietly, remaining on the floor, "They'll never work like they used to." He gestured to his legs.

Emily crouched down in front of Daniel and put her hands on his shoulders, looking square in his face. "You will walk Daniel. I will be with you every literal step of the way. You won't take a step without me being there. Late night bathroom duty? I'm walking you to the door. Walking to Rebecca to make out? Say hi to your shoulder buddy."