Chapter Forty One - Searching and Finding

I splashed cold water on my face as I took in my swollen lips, a small reminder of what had taken place with Lucas, not that I needed it. I spotted a pretty vibrant hickey making itself known on my neck, too.

I changed into loose fitting sweats and a tight, black, long sleeved shirt that I'd tucked in. I checked my phone for the hundredth time that night and still nothing from Lucas.

I decided to ask Daniel.

Emily: Hey, did your brother make it back home?

Daniel: Nope. But I wouldn't expect him home early tonight. Everything okay?

Emily: Yeah, just making sure you guys are okay.

Daniel: Don't worry so much. We're fine.

That was easier said than done. I huffed before throwing myself onto my bed and groaning. I wouldn't be able to sleep until I knew that Lucas was okay tonight. I pulled my phone out again and called for a cab, running out of my apartment and right into Ms. Smith. Lovely.

"Oh! Dear, you almost ran right into me. Manners are lost these days."

"Sorry, Ms. Smith! Running a tad late here!" I shouted as I ran past her.

"And where on earth are you headed out to at an hour like this?!" She asked, leaning over the railing to shout after to me as she did so.

"A random hookup!" I replied as I exited the building. I climbed into the taxi and gave him the address to Lucas's gym. There were only two places Lucas would be and I was really hoping it wasn't the second.

We parked in front of the empty gym. Lucas's car wasn't parked in front of the building. Dread settled in my stomach.

I pulled out my phone and dialled Ashley's number.

"Hey!" She answered on the second ring. "How are you?"

"Hey, Ashley. I need a favour."

"Shoot."

"Do you still have that contact for underground fighting?"

"Yeah," She trailed.

"Can you figure out where tonight's fight is?"

"Emily, that's really unsafe. Especially by yourself!" Ashley scolded.

"I have one of Lucas's friends with me," I lied automatically. I just needed to get there before Lucas did anything stupid.

"If you're sure. I'll text him right now. I'll let you know the details when I find them."

"Thanks, Ashley. I really appreciate it." I hung up with her and a few minutes later received an address. I gave it to the cab driver and we were parked within minutes.

I jumped out of the car and sped through a crowd, larger than the last one I attended, one hand on my can of pepper spray. I had forgotten how much I hated these fights. I clawed my way into the crowd and towards the cage in the middle.

Sure enough, there stood Lucas, fists up as he towered over his opponent. His eyes stoic and impassive as he calculated his next moves. His eyebrow was cut and bleeding down his face, droplets splattering across the floor. Though his opponent was shorter than Lucas, he was much larger, almost looking like he was on steroids, a crazed look in his eyes.

I tried to stay hidden in the crowd so as not to surprise him into losing his focus and therefore the fight. I knew how bad people got beat when they lost.

I saw Lucas throw a fist and his opponent stumble back. Now the guy  just looked angry. He sped forward like a bull towards a muleta. He knocked Lucas to the floor, his head ricocheting off of the cement. I winced at the impact, fear overtaking me. Lucas was angry tonight. He wasn't in a calm enough place to fight.

Suddenly I felt an arm snake around my waist and I was about to pull out my pepper when a strong hand stopped me. "Ah ah, princess," scolded the deep voice.

His chest was snug against my back and my heart started hammering in terror. "You're a precious little thing to be in a crowd like this. You almost look personally invested in this fight." The voice mused.

"I'm not," I lied immediately.

"Don't lie. I despise liars."

"What do you want?" I croaked, fear thick in my voice.

"I'm testing out a theory," He replied as he began to shuffle towards the cage dragging me along with him, my back still against his chest.

I could tell he was much taller than I was and I could see the tattoos on his exposed arm around my waist, but I couldn't see anything beyond that.

I felt like I was going to be sick when he brought me right in front of Lucas in the cage and proceeded to wait.

"Please. I don't know either of them. I just came with a friend." I pleaded.

"Shush now. I wouldn't want your sweetness to stir something in me that I won't be able to repress," the voice responded.

I tried to turn my head to catch a glimpse of the man holding me but a hand worked it's way into my hair and kept my head facing forward.

Lucas was engrossed in the fight. He was now on top of his opponent's waist and throwing punches at his face.

The same hand that was holding my face travelled down to rest at the nape of my neck, brushing his fingers along my collar bone. My knees were feeling wobbly and I was beginning to feel light headed.

Before I could become overcome by the feeling, I snapped my head back, hearing the crunch of his nose and stomped on the man's foot as his hold loosened and I jumped away from him.

Just as I took a speedy step forward, a hand clamped around my wrist and pulled me back in roughly, "You're a fighter," He chuckled.

I finally caught a glimpse of the man and everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Silva, the man who I had seen brutally pummel his opponent, Kaz, stood before me, smirking. His unmistakable face tainted with tattoos covering every inch. He had blood running down from his nose and I took the smallest satisfaction in that at the very least.

Just then, I heard Lucas grunt in pain. Silva pulled me against him again and I watched as Lucas looked at me in horror and his opponent take over as he flipped him onto the ground and began to beat into his chest and ribs.

Lucas couldn't focus enough to flip over and end the fight. He was too engrossed on Silva and I, standing right in front of the cage.

"Sorry, you just finished saying you didn't know each other?" Silva asked, humour thick in his tone. Was this a game for him?

"Go to hell," I spat. This time, he placed his arm against my neck so I couldn't move my head and wound his leg around mine so I was rendered motionless. I had to watch as Lucas got pummelled, his body bleeding tremendously.

I closed my eyes. I can't see this again. I can't see this when I can't help. I can't see this happening to Lucas.

Just then, I heard a loud crunch and the crowd went silent. I peaked an eye open to see the steroid user unconscious on the cement and Lucas jumping up, running to exit the cage.

Silva's hands immediately released me. "Well, thanks for the cuddle, princess. I'm sure I'll see you around."

I looked behind me to see him vanished among the crowd. Ahead of me, Lucas looked more terrifying than I'd ever seen him.

~~~~~~

On two thousand separate occasions, someone has sat on their phone or at their laptop and viewed a section of this book. My way of saying 2000 reads, ya'll. I appreciate all of them ❤️

Next update on Monday!