Chapter Forty Nine - Cookie Dates and Car Rides

A sharp knock on the door pulled me out of my reverie of the events from last night. I looked to the clock - 7:30 AM.

"Good morning, Mr. Greggs," I called as I swung the door open. There stood the man in question with his pants that flowed too long and his button down shirt that ran too large.

"Morning," he croaked, the stench of cigarettes making me wrinkle my nose.

"Coffee?" I asked as I made my way to the kitchen.

He shook his head, "I'm just stopping by," he walked inside and watched me pour the piping liquid into a mug.

"Everything okay?" I raised an eyebrow at his rigid stature.

"Yes. No. I had something I wanted to run past you. It's not bad. I think. Well, it might not be great as well, though I think it's pretty great, but I also thought that the-" A knock on the door interrupted Mr. Greggs' blabbering.

Ms. Smith pooped her head into my apartment. She looked in between Mr. Greggs in surprise, "Oh! I didn't know you had company."

"Company is a bit of an overstatement," Mr. Greggs mumbled.

"Hey!" I protested. "I'm excellent company. I offered you coffee."

"I don't want to interrupt," Ms. Smith began which made me want to butt in with a since when but didn't, and I considered that substantial personal growth. "But I was hoping to get that cookie recipe off of you, Emily?"

"Oh, sure. It's less of a recipe and more a scattering of ingredients laying around in my brain," I confessed taking a sip of my coffee.

"I would expect no less from you," Ms. Smith teased. I think. "Maybe you can come by tonight and help me make a batch? I'm testing desserts out."

I shrugged, "Sure. I have work soon but I can come by after."

"Great!" She clapped her hands together. She took another look at Mr. Greggs, "Well, I'll see you tonight, Emily!"

"Looking forward to it," I replied drily. I looked at Mr. Greggs with interest as I slurped out of my mug loudly and irritatingly.

He noticed me right away, "What?" He snapped defensively.

"What's up with you two?"

"Goddamn kids these days," he muttered as he stomped out of my apartment, "Can't keep their noses out of anyone's business."

"Love you, too!" I called out before closing my door and making my way to see Daniel.

I knocked on apartment 4D and waited patiently before it was swung open by a seemingly forever grinning Daniel. "Emily," he greeted.

"Daniel," I laughed as I walked in.

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm on a new kind of low right now after last night. Lucas is doing interviews at the gym and I begged him to let me crash some but he's being a stubborn jerk about it," he pouted crossing his arms across his chest.

He reached into his chair and pulled out a Reese's, opening the package and holding it out for me. I shook my head at him before he scarfed down two pieces, "What's the meaning of my life now?" He whined with a mouth full of chocolate.

"Can you relax?" I laughed.

"Let's do something!" He cheered holding the last piece of chocolate in between his fingers. "Let's go to an amusement park!"